Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-26-2011, 10:35 PM   #1 
GreenTea

Talking Baby platys! Help!

Hey so I bought some platys for my goldfish tank and look what I found today! :D I'm a happy momma. Does anyone know about how old they are?
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 11:39 AM   #2 
betta lover1507

photos will help, i have seen red wag platy spawns, and i think they where mickey mouse (i don't remember the last ones). i cared for them since i had no micro worms, i gave them crushed flakes and they ate it. i started with 20, and ended with 18, since my dad made me get rid of them and sell them to a fish store. they got like | | that big since i had them from | | that small or smaller.

you could give better care than i did since i wasn't ready for babies (the tank was ;]) but i gave them crushed flakes and they loved it, i had a 3 gallon filter, it wasn't a sponge filter but they lived, had plants, & cleaned the tank once a week. my uncle had red wag platy babies, but one day he felt bad for the mother so he released her and she ate all of them =p. he also gave them crushed flakes because he was going to get a bass or something for the tank. you could try BBS or MWs but i never tried it. hope this helped
betta lover1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 12:39 PM   #3 
indjo
TFK Moderator

New born platies are as big as new born guppies. Mollies are slightly bigger. Basically you can feed them anything - incl crushed man made food.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 03:05 AM   #4 
GreenTea

Oh wow the original post was supposed to have photos. Here you go guys...I've just been giving them crushed flakes and they have the moss to nibble as well.

This is their new home...

With dad... =]

Old 08-28-2011, 03:09 AM   #5 
GreenTea

I was worried they wouldn't survive being transferred from their ziploc to the candy jar drum bowl thing I have them now - I had 50% water from the goldfish tank they were born in, with 50% new conditioned water, and figured on doing a 50% change every other day? I would guesstimate that drum to be about .8 gallons.
Old 08-28-2011, 05:09 PM   #6 
betta lover1507

wow mines where TINY yours are bigger =]
Old 08-28-2011, 05:12 PM   #7 
diablo13

I have 9 Red Wag babies right now, they look like yours and they're nearly a month old 0.0
diablo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 09:41 PM   #8 
GreenTea

Haha wow, so these guys could have been living in there for awhile? I'm glad to know they aren't so fragile! I've never raised fry before. My goldfish tank has an elaborate and huge moss structure, so I guess they could have been living there.

Do you think that tank is adequate? Is there a chance for an aggression?
Old 08-29-2011, 01:12 PM   #9 
betta lover1507

how big is the tank? when they get bigger maybe unless the tank is big enough i don't know how big the tank for one you could do some research on them on caring for the young ones (this sound a little offesive but i don't mean it that way) just make sure there is good space.
but in the photo it looks somewhat small
Old 08-29-2011, 04:59 PM   #10 
GreenTea

I've been doing some research yeah, my hope is to allow them to be in that smaller tank until they are big enough to not be eaten, or get another tank of that size. I'm doing a betta rescue and have a million tanks as it is.

They're getting bigger every day! the bigger one is definitely a girl, I think the small one is a boy.