Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-27-2011, 09:41 PM   #1 
Krys

So with the hurricane coming...

I had to put my two boys in small half gallon kritter critters. They'll have to stay in them for the next couple days incase the power goes out-- losing their heaters.

At least in these kritter keepers are small enough that they'll stay warm with the room temperature, which is in the 70's in my room (no AC).

I feel so bad about shoving them in these small "tanks", but at least they wont freeze as if i let them stay in the 5 gallons without a heater... right?
Krys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 09:50 PM   #2 
harrypotter

I think it'll be okay since it's only temporary. If you leave them in the big tank with no heater, the degrees dropping might send them into shock?
harrypotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 09:57 PM   #3 
Krys

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrypotter View Post
I think it'll be okay since it's only temporary. If you leave them in the big tank with no heater, the degrees dropping might send them into shock?
well it'd be slow, so it wouldn't be shock, but the water temp would drop to the high 60's, which is too cold and could literally kill them.
Krys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:08 AM   #4 
cajunamy
Banned

could you go out and buy some heat packs? i've seen them in walmart sometimes in the check out lines
cajunamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:14 AM   #5 
Abby

im glad we havent got earthquakes or hurricanes tornados etc here cause you could ALL imagine my bf screaming for me to leave the fish and me cupping and lidding containers frantically telling him "NO FISH STAYS BEHIND"
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 12:03 PM   #6 
Princess Penny

Sounds like that is the best option. You're right - the water temp will stay higher at room temp in a tank with a smaller volume. Unfortunate for the bettas but your best bet in the long run! I'm sure they'll be OK since it's only temporary :) Good luck and stay safe!
Princess Penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 05:03 PM   #7 
SnowySurface

@Abby
That is how disasters are handled in movies or by people who are new to the area. People who live in a certain area just gets used to it. It's kind of hard ot explain to someone who doesn't have to deal with anything. XD

In my case, Once I knew when it would land in my area, the force, and if I should evacuate I was able to prepare accordingly. I left my fish in their original tanks so they where in familiar waters until the disaster passed (since I didn't need to evacuate). If I knew we had to evacuate, then they would have been moved to fish bags so I could grab them and go. I prepared emergency fish water, supplies, and stuff for myself, but that's a bit complicated to say the least. Since this post is too little too late for Krys, I'm not going to bother going into detail unless someone is really interested. ^_^;
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote