Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-29-2011, 01:35 AM   #1 
Amphibianite

My Questions

So I have decided I am going to take on the challenge of breeding here sooner than later. I have a few questions now though. I figure I will just use this thread for all the questions I know will be coming up.

My major question is this. How long after getting the female, QTing and adjusting her to her new home can you begin conditioning? I have a female CT on order that I wish to breed with my boy, providing she is in fact the one I want. I put in an order for a Silver/Plat dragon CT female with my LFS. Providing they can get her in and she is healthy and happy. Do the standard QT and get her adjusted to a new tank after QT. How long should I wait to condition?
I know Conditioning can take several weeks, plus there is then introduction time between the pair providing they accept each other. I would personally like to breed in the next few months so that the fry are not so young when it gets reheheheeaally cold here. Of course I will be breeding indoors and they will have a heater.

Question two. I have noticed it seems a lot of people do not feed the male while they are in the fry tank. Why is this?
Amphibianite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 03:26 AM   #2 
Mohan85

good thing you decided sooner than later because its best to breed them when they're young.. so anyways you can start conditioning right away, feed lots of frozen brine shrimp or bloodworms(i do bloodworms) for about 2 weeks straight and then you can setup your spawning tank and introduce them.. make sure you buy fry food and research ahead of time.. best things are microworms and newly hatched baby brine shrimp, live foods are the best.

oh and males usually don't eat when they're tending to the eggs/fry, they are hard at work, dedicated fathers 24/7, until they're the fry are free swimming of course, then he will eat em after that! so anwyays that is why you condition him for 2 weeks, he will be strong and will be able to easily go without food for days.. and the female will be nice and fat on eggs..

Last edited by Mohan85; 08-29-2011 at 03:29 AM.
Mohan85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:41 AM   #3 
youlovegnats

QT usually takes 2 weeks. So you can start conditioning her right after the two-week QT time :)

As Mohan said, males don't usually eat when raising fry because they are so busy picking up eggs and fry and spitting them back out into the nest.
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:27 AM   #4 
Creat

I offer my males food when they have a nest but honestly not many take it....sometimes they will eat it if I leave him in more then a week... and I quarantine depending on the fish, most times I condition for 3 weeks, 2 weeks with good water 1 week of being confined in a tiny container with out water changes no heater but same feeding schedule.
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 01:03 PM   #5 
Amphibianite

Thanks for the tips all. I am doing all the research I can for this next step of betta raising.
Creat why do you do one week in a small container with no water changes? Also I don't think I can do no heater when I am getting ready to breed it will already be extremely cold here falling into freezing range outside.

Next question should I condition the male in his normal home or in the breeding tank? Which is a 15 to 20 gal so will also be my fry grow out tank as well.
I have two of those tanks so If I need to spread the fry out more I can. I really have several more tanks too if needed. I have another 20 that I plan on being a sorority, and a very long and tall but not so wide tank that can be used if needed.
So grow out tanks are not an issue.
Old 08-29-2011, 01:13 PM   #6 
Creat

OFL gave me a tip once for one of my males who was finicky about breeding and I used it on another male to and it worked like a charm the tiny container plus lower temp plus the dirty water = waiting to breed when I dump him into the breeding thank, and by un heated I mean room temp which is about 68* a healthy betta can deal with that one bad week. Its the shock that got my finicky male to breed because I dont aclimate them to the breeding tank. Going from not to great conditions to perfect breeding condition. But its about personal preference I feel safe doing this to my betta.
So I condition them in their home for 2 weeks then the bad week they are secluded in their little cup
Old 08-29-2011, 02:59 PM   #7 
Amphibianite

Okay thanks for the idea there Creat. I will have to ask OFL some advice here later. This will obviously be my first spawn.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:06 PM   #8 
Mohan85

what does QT mean?
Mohan85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:10 PM   #9 
Creat

QT= quarantine time i believe
:)
Old 08-29-2011, 10:53 PM   #10 
Amphibianite

Quarantine time or tank I have seen it as both.