Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-28-2011, 09:59 PM   #2361 
JKfish

Nel, be sure to read this link before packing your fish. It'll insure you do it properly and avoid trouble. I know it is for shipping fish, but the general idea is still the same; you are packing the fish in bags and putting them in a box for transportation.

Dozzem, is the tank in a well lit area of the house? If it is in a dim area of the house and it has a light directly over the tank, it'll make the tank walls become reflective. Also, does he have enough hiding spots? Sometimes bettas flare/tail bite when they are stressed.

Last edited by JKfish; 08-28-2011 at 10:01 PM.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 10:07 PM   #2362 
Dozzem

JK- yes, he has a very nice coconut cave and two fake plant he likes. He is in my room, I dont come in a lot but when I do, i turn on the light but it dosen't turn his tank brighter by a lot. I also have thin curtens, but light never comes straght into my room so its random.
Dozzem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 10:09 PM   #2363 
Dozzem

5. I forgot a question, can I put tumbled rocks in there, like quartz? I have a LOT and none of them are sharp. I believe in the rock healing powers :3

Maybe I can get him to stop all the tail bitting o.o
Dozzem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 06:00 AM   #2364 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKfish View Post
Nel, be sure to read this link before packing your fish. It'll insure you do it properly and avoid trouble. I know it is for shipping fish, but the general idea is still the same; you are packing the fish in bags and putting them in a box for transportation.

Dozzem, is the tank in a well lit area of the house? If it is in a dim area of the house and it has a light directly over the tank, it'll make the tank walls become reflective. Also, does he have enough hiding spots? Sometimes bettas flare/tail bite when they are stressed.
ty JKFish, i have boxes but the only thing i have atm is buble wrap instead of packing peanuts. would that do or is it best to go out and buy some styrofoam? i'll go to lps for the betta bags.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 05:05 PM   #2365 
Miss W

Oh no! I hurt my Betta! Today I was working on a 100% water change and while trying to catch Percy with a net he dove down quickly. The net pulled off about 1/2 inch of one of his tail. It was a very thin part of the tail, and he seems to being doing fine right now (swimming around checking out his new set up). Will he be okay? Does this kind of thing happen?
Miss W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 07:11 PM   #2366 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by nel3 View Post
aret those scrubbing pads used for dishwashing suitable for cleaning acrylic tanks? i have 1 pad thats avoided soap so far for cleaning tank cleaning.
Nooooooo....

Nothing much is suitable for cleaning acrylic other than a soft rag with vinegar. Not even dishwashing soap can be trusted.

There are plastic polishes made for acrylic, but I doubt the chemicals are fish safe.

If you're talking about algae cleaning, try snails. Plastic polish on the outside, only.
Hallyx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 07:27 PM   #2367 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss W View Post
Oh no! I hurt my Betta! Today I was working on a 100% water change .... Does this kind of thing happen?
Unfortunately, yes. I've had some close calls while performing 100% changes.

I no longer do it. I see no reason to stress both me and my fish trying to get every last little bit of mulm out of the tank. (But that's just me.)

Gravel vac, frequent partial changes and water tests. 90% changes max and rarely. And I leave them in the tank.
Hallyx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 07:47 PM   #2368 
Lion Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallyx View Post
Unfortunately, yes. I've had some close calls while performing 100% changes.

I no longer do it. I see no reason to stress both me and my fish trying to get every last little bit of mulm out of the tank. (But that's just me.)

Gravel vac, frequent partial changes and water tests. 90% changes max and rarely. And I leave them in the tank.
What size is your tank & is it filtered? Thanks!
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 10:31 PM   #2369 
Neil D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss W View Post
Oh no! I hurt my Betta! Today I was working on a 100% water change and while trying to catch Percy with a net he dove down quickly. The net pulled off about 1/2 inch of one of his tail. It was a very thin part of the tail, and he seems to being doing fine right now (swimming around checking out his new set up). Will he be okay? Does this kind of thing happen?

Don't stop the changes, and this kinda thing can happen. Now that part of his tail is missing, THE WORLD IS GONNA END!!! XD lol

No Im kidding, but make sure his water is clean at all times. It'll help his tail grow.
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 01:26 AM   #2370 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallyx View Post
Nooooooo....

Nothing much is suitable for cleaning acrylic other than a soft rag with vinegar. Not even dishwashing soap can be trusted.

There are plastic polishes made for acrylic, but I doubt the chemicals are fish safe.

If you're talking about algae cleaning, try snails. Plastic polish on the outside, only.

thank you, Hallyx. i only used it 2 times so far on acrylic tank. i havent had any algea issues yet but i havent a place to keep snails. they'd be perfect if they didnt keep dropping eggsacs to multiply quickly.

i have a quesyion regarding tank types, specifically glass vs acrylic. my VT keeps charging his reflection in the 2.5 Minibow acrylic. im looking at a 5 gal Minibow or a 5g glass Marina tank to divide. the Marina 5g is $5 cheaper to get and is available locally. the VT's been there for 3 days so far and ive kept the tank in the shade to reduce reflection. works well but very little light has been there for the plants inside. mu question is reflectiveness in a glass tank vs acrylic. i'll go with marina glass 5g if its less reflective.

Last edited by nel3; 08-31-2011 at 01:29 AM.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote