Betta Fish Forum banner

The Quick Question Thread

127K views 3K replies 389 participants last post by  Hallyx 
#1 ·
I saw this on a different forum and I thought it might fit here! The questions to post here are not big enough to post as a new thread, so if it is just a 'Quick Question', you post it here.

Quick Question:
How long does it take before betta eggs hatch?

#2,356 ·
whats the best way to transport bettas? i'll be moving into a new place in early september if all goes well. the place is 30 minutes away so the ride isnt bad at all, should i get betta bags or some well sealing containers?

#2,360 ·
thank you, i'll have tp get 4 bags to do the trick for both betta. i'll put the bags in a insulated cooler for the trip.

#2,359 · (Edited)
1. Hey, my marble half-moon is SO aggressive!!! He has been ever scene I put him in a 3 gallon upgrade (from a 2 gal.) two or three weeks ago. He flares at me and everything when I see him and he bites it lovely tail T3T. He made his first bubble nest (When I had him) a week or so ago, but hasn't made another one... Is he just crazy and what should I do? X3

2. Also, I put different color toys i there, he loves to chase the yellow, kills red and runs from orange and green! lol why?

3. AND dose light bother him? I have a BIG light above his tank I turn on to look at him and take pictures. It makes a little heat but I don't need it.

4. Its putting a snack on a string, making him chase it, and then letting him (VERY CRAZY-LIKE) eating it off a good idea? It was really cute >.<

#2,361 · (Edited)
Nel, be sure to read this link before packing your fish. It'll insure you do it properly and avoid trouble. I know it is for shipping fish, but the general idea is still the same; you are packing the fish in bags and putting them in a box for transportation.

Dozzem, is the tank in a well lit area of the house? If it is in a dim area of the house and it has a light directly over the tank, it'll make the tank walls become reflective. Also, does he have enough hiding spots? Sometimes bettas flare/tail bite when they are stressed.

#2,364 ·
ty JKFish, i have boxes but the only thing i have atm is buble wrap instead of packing peanuts. would that do or is it best to go out and buy some styrofoam? i'll go to lps for the betta bags.

#2,362 ·
JK- yes, he has a very nice coconut cave and two fake plant he likes. He is in my room, I dont come in a lot but when I do, i turn on the light but it dosen't turn his tank brighter by a lot. I also have thin curtens, but light never comes straght into my room so its random.

#2,363 ·
5. I forgot a question, can I put tumbled rocks in there, like quartz? I have a LOT and none of them are sharp. I believe in the rock healing powers :3

Maybe I can get him to stop all the tail bitting o.o

#2,365 ·
Oh no! I hurt my Betta! Today I was working on a 100% water change and while trying to catch Percy with a net he dove down quickly. The net pulled off about 1/2 inch of one of his tail. It was a very thin part of the tail, and he seems to being doing fine right now (swimming around checking out his new set up). Will he be okay? Does this kind of thing happen?

#2,367 ·
Oh no! I hurt my Betta! Today I was working on a 100% water change .... Does this kind of thing happen?
Unfortunately, yes. I've had some close calls while performing 100% changes.

I no longer do it. I see no reason to stress both me and my fish trying to get every last little bit of mulm out of the tank. (But that's just me.)

Gravel vac, frequent partial changes and water tests. 90% changes max and rarely. And I leave them in the tank.

#2,374 ·
This question probably pops up all the time but i'm still going to ask it. My female, Artemis seems to be either tail biting/fin biting or has torn her bottom (sorry, can't remember what that fin is called) fin. I do very regular water changes and apart from a pesky algae problem the water quality is good. Is there anything else i should do to help her get better/stop infection?

Tail Freshwater aquarium Leaf Organism Plant

Does her tail look like she's been biting or is it just her tail type causing those spikeys?

Also, what can i do to deal with the algae problem that has cropped up? This stuff is bright green, i suspect it is green hair algae, will upping the co2 level in my tank work to control it? What else can i do? I have a 5 g planted tank with only the female as an occupant. Do snails eat algae? I have this huge ramshorn in my snail breeder tank, will he eat it? I'm not sure i want to put anything else in there to eat it (fishwise i mean)

#2,380 ·
Bucky,

The first thing to do is fill this out.

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?

#2,382 ·
Hi guys! I can fill out the sticky if you need to me, but my question is about food. Red seems to be constipated on a weekly basis, even if I soak the pellets (I have the AquaCulture ones from Walmart) and only feed him two or three of them. I fast him twice a week, but this still happens.

Would switching to flakes help, or should I just feed him less? :S
Thanks in advance!

#2,385 ·
Brooke, it's possible those types of pellets might not agree with him. You could try switching brands, and experiment with different foods (flakes and pellets). Make sure that your water is clean and properly heated as well, because sometimes those can be factors.

#2,386 · (Edited)
i gave into temptation today. got a marbled DT betta locally the fish is in good condition regarding fins. hes mostly black body with white and goes sliver with refelction. the fins are light blue and red. cant post pics of him today, hes a bit stressed out and in a .5g unheated. i'll be getting a 5 gallon within 2 weeks and put my 1gal to the side (atm green DT), the heater in 1gal will go in the 5g. Osiris (new DT) is rather shy atm hiding under the java moss and i beleive he did eat a flake a minute after i put it in. he's a relatively young fry. only good pic atm

not the best way to put him in the tank but i cut the floating betta bag to get him in the .5g. the bag i got him in was a big bag for larger fish species (2ft tall bag). i found a dead betta at the same store but its better than the one closest to me and i only paid $11 vs +$15-$25 for CT/HM (closest one). they got rid of the dead betta when i pointed it out, it was a nice red CT fry. his water was changed recently got close to .00 ppm ammonia. i also found some weird green stringy stuff in the cup, is it medicine?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

#2,391 · (Edited)
thank you Neil and lion mom. i was under the impression he was black and silver but i never took a closer look until the moment i made my final choice. i dont regret it, i like the color mix on the body and fins. the green stuff is gone now, he has his java moss to replace it. its taken a while but the VT and new DT seem to get used to it. osiris is just chilling in getting used to the .5g.

the same shop had a purple marble but its more of a blue/red combo, they just have alot of marbles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.