Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-31-2011, 03:21 PM   #11 
youlovegnats

Well, they will fight. Just make sure that they aren't squaring off and decking each other. Nips and tears will happen, as females can be just as aggressive as males. :P

Just keep a close eye out.
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 03:24 PM   #12 
mjoy79

yeah. i wouldn't leave just 2 or 3 alone together. and probably not 4 either. from what I've read 5-6 at least is good. I have 2 CTs and 3 VTs and the 2 CTs seemed to be deciding who was going to be alpha for awhile. first Ana Lucia seemed to be dominating, then Libby seemed to take over. Now Ana Lucia hangs out by herself more than the others. They all seem to get along pretty good. There's a little nipping at feeding time because they're jumping over each other to get to the food!
mjoy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 03:29 PM   #13 
youlovegnats

xD I just added a red VT girl to my sorority. Oh boy. That caused chaos.
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 03:49 PM   #14 
hmckin20

ohjeez xD yeah Demi's fins are a little shredded.. it freaked me out. but thanks guys for the advice! c: i think i'll try again when i get a fifth.
right now they're chilling in QT tanks, probably still reeling..

it was weird cause they'd corner each other up and wiggle.
hmckin20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 04:36 PM   #15 
LittleBettaFish

You need a lot more cover, particularly on the right-hand side of the tank. There's no real places in your tank at the moment that your females can escape to without being easily chased/attacked by another.

Aggression is normal. My females were body-slamming and fin nipping for the first few days. However, it settled down soon enough and there wasn't a lot of actual physical damage done, it was mostly just posturing.

While it's hard to watch, there will need to be a certain amount of fighting to sort out the pecking order. The only time I removed one was when she cornered another female and was systematically beating and chasing her. I let her float in a cup for a while and following a re-introduction to the tank, she became submissive to the female she was bullying.

You can not overdo it on hiding places and cover for your females. If I had less plants, I would probably have more fighting. Maybe try cutting your terrocotta pots in half and burying them in the gravel so they offer a more inviting shelter. Placing some floating plants at the surface of your tank, will prevent the more submissive females from being harassed when they got up to breathe.

You want to make it as difficult as possible for one female to continually chase or bully another. Plants act as a buffer, and if you have enough of them, really make it hard work for an aggressive female to single out and attack one of her tankmates.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 05:38 PM   #16 
hmckin20

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
You need a lot more cover, particularly on the right-hand side of the tank. There's no real places in your tank at the moment that your females can escape to without being easily chased/attacked by another.

Aggression is normal. My females were body-slamming and fin nipping for the first few days. However, it settled down soon enough and there wasn't a lot of actual physical damage done, it was mostly just posturing.

While it's hard to watch, there will need to be a certain amount of fighting to sort out the pecking order. The only time I removed one was when she cornered another female and was systematically beating and chasing her. I let her float in a cup for a while and following a re-introduction to the tank, she became submissive to the female she was bullying.

You can not overdo it on hiding places and cover for your females. If I had less plants, I would probably have more fighting. Maybe try cutting your terrocotta pots in half and burying them in the gravel so they offer a more inviting shelter. Placing some floating plants at the surface of your tank, will prevent the more submissive females from being harassed when they got up to breathe.

You want to make it as difficult as possible for one female to continually chase or bully another. Plants act as a buffer, and if you have enough of them, really make it hard work for an aggressive female to single out and attack one of her tankmates.

omg jam packed full of good information o3o thankyou! :D
i like the cutting the pots in half idea.
do you recommend a type of floating plant?
Old 08-31-2011, 05:52 PM   #17 
LittleBettaFish

I have used riccia, duckweed, hydrocotyle and hornwort. Of these, riccia and hornwort are the best at providing cover, but they also both tend to shed a lot.

I have a stem plant called milfoil in my sorority tank, which grows like a weed in the right conditions. I took mine out the other day during a sorority re-haul and some of it measured at least a metre in length. As you can see in this picture, it coils up against the sides and top of the tank and ensures lots of hiding places for my fish.

(Old shot of my sorority before it really grew in)

As long as you have the correct lighting and dose at least some basic ferts, all the above plants are really easy to grow. If you want something really basic, you can use a cork covered in java moss. As the moss grows down into the water, it will provide lots of cover for your females.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 06:12 PM   #18 
hmckin20

whoo, okay, i think i just jumped into this wayyy too quickly.
i think i just got excited. x__x

i LOVE the look of your tank. o3o i'll go looking for some of those plants. i should probably research a little more into keeping plants. xD it may be a while before i try putting my girls together again.

but on the bright side, i got some good pictures. :3