Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-31-2011, 08:34 PM   #1 
Potential4Evil

Question Personalities- Timid betta?

Its a little late now, since Chum-Fu passed away tonight.

But before, he was very timid and jumpy. Hid at every little noise or vibration like an abused cat or dog.

I would just like to know if this is normal for bettas or if maybe he was sick...and at least i gave him a good home to pass in...

any ideas would help for future reference incase i get another timid one.
Potential4Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 08:39 PM   #2 
jman828

Some bettas are very timid while others are very active and could care less if there's an explosion beside them. All bettas are different. As for whether he was sick or not we can't really tell you unless he had symptopms you could describe, but it's unlikely if he was only jumpy. Sorry for your loss and yes he certainly had a better place to pass on in instead off a little cup at the pet store. Good job :).
jman828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 11:39 PM   #3 
DragonFish

To be completely honest....the only time I ever had a betta that was THAT timid and jumpy, there was something wrong with them and they tended to pass(from various causes....sometimes obvious, sometimes not)fairly quickly.

Anak is a rather 'shy' betta, who tends not to be too fond of sudden movement and dislikes the camera(but hes also been through quite a lot in the past couple of months, so thats probably why).....but he is still very personable with me; watching me, begging for food, always right there waiting on the side of the tank closest to the door when I come in(his tank sits next to my door).
That would be my definition of a healthy 'timid' betta.

Thats just my experience though....

I'm very sorry for your loss, and remembering your previous posts, I doubt it was anything you did wrong....sometimes these things just happen, it was likely he was sick before you even purchased him. And indeed, at least you were able to give him a nice home for his passing and he didn't have to be stuck in a dirty little cup.
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 02:50 AM   #4 
Kytkattin

I have had fish like that. That is why when I chose my most recent fish, Kamehameha, he was bombproof. Just totally chill with everything, but not lethargic. Found him at the bottom of the pile in the back (they were doing water changes), and most of the ones I got from back there freaked out at the sudden change in light (poor things). But he was very curious (followed my finger when it moved it along the cup). I didn't want to choose another fish based only on color. Personality was more important.
Basically, you just have to understand that you did your best. Find comfort in that, and when you are ready, give another betta a chance at a good home and a good life. :)
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 03:04 AM   #5 
Pataflafla

I've got a timid guy right now. He hides whenever I go near his tank, but he still eats and builds nests. He's got healthy color to him and new growth on his anal and dorsal fin (for whatever reason his tail just doesn't want to grow anymore). He rarely flares and even if he does, he retreats behind his floating plant. I'm currently trying to teach him that it's ok when people come to the tank by giving him a pellet each time I hover over by the 10 gallon and his tank for a little bit (I just feed him his regular pellet amount throughout the day instead of meal times).
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote