Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-01-2011, 07:42 AM   #1 
londongirl

breeding female stripes ??

I want to breed my bettas but im not sure if my females are ready or not 1 has two vertical lines n shes got a very rounded belly does this mean shes ready to sprawn or is there other factors with my females.
londongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 08:15 AM   #2 
Mohan85

Quote:
Originally Posted by londongirl View Post
I want to breed my bettas but im not sure if my females are ready or not 1 has two vertical lines n shes got a very rounded belly does this mean shes ready to sprawn or is there other factors with my females.
yes that means they are ready.. the question is, are YOU ready? :)

does she have a little tube looking thing sticking out under her anal fin?
Mohan85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 08:34 AM   #3 
londongirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohan85 View Post
yes that means they are ready.. the question is, are YOU ready? :)

does she have a little tube looking thing sticking out under her anal fin?
Yea both my females do, i have a tank thats heated i can use for sprawning n i have about 60 old cleaned jam jars that the males can go in1 when ready cos the females can stay in the 'sprawning' tank, and my local pet store are always looking for bettas cos they sell so quickly + i can do private sales, possibly shipping also.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:20 AM   #4 
youlovegnats

Have you done ALL the possible research? Do you know how to condition? Do you know what to feed the fry?
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 09:43 AM   #5 
londongirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by youlovegnats View Post
Have you done ALL the possible research? Do you know how to condition? Do you know what to feed the fry?
i've done a ton of research on looking after the fry and breeding, only part i aint 100% sure on is what to feed the fry i was guna give them baby brine shrimp as they easy 2 breed yourself.
For conditioning i've been giving them the same as wha the pet store gave them which was basically bloodworms everyday, is this wrong if it is please tell me.

I'm not planning to breed them just yet as i dont wana go into it without having EVERYTHING correct, i just want to find out the signs of females being ready and the best way to condition and feed fry.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:51 AM   #6 
Creat

Whats your spawning set up like?
Sounds about right although I dont do just 100% bloodworms the key is to mix it up and give a variety of foods in small doses, often. You can always introduce the pair by floating her in there with the male making sure they are responding properly.
I also feed my fry micro worms they are very easy to culture and keep growing :)
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:39 AM   #7 
londongirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creat View Post
Whats your spawning set up like?
Sounds about right although I dont do just 100% bloodworms the key is to mix it up and give a variety of foods in small doses, often. You can always introduce the pair by floating her in there with the male making sure they are responding properly.
I also feed my fry micro worms they are very easy to culture and keep growing :)

My spawning set up is a 5gal tank with hides and live plants. I want to feed them a variety of foods but atm they will ONLY eat frozen bloodworms so im currently not feeding any of them so i can swap them over to the tetrabetta pellets, i have an old washed bottle i've cut in half that i can float her in.

How would i start a culture of micro worms ??
Do they need a large amount of space, and what do i need 2 start a culture.

Would post pictures but phone wont connect to laptop

Last edited by londongirl; 09-01-2011 at 11:41 AM. Reason: missing text
Old 09-01-2011, 11:59 AM   #8 
Creat

I would suggest a larger container because as the fry grow you will need to move them to a larger container anyways I would do at least 10 gal but I use large plastic bins from like walmart that are larger filled 5 inches with water. I have duckweed and java moss thickly planted in mine and live plants are good.
You can feed pellets with bloodworms too.. also you can try to use mosquito larva or frozen brine shrimp might work.
You can buy a mircoworm starter culture online basically what I do is use those old plastic containers that betta come in or something of the like that has a lid I use oatmeal plain oats that are ground up or whole and sprinkle a pinch of yeast on it and wet it down. Cultures can last indefinitely if you keep moving them ... they should smell sweet but once they start to smell sour you need another culture. Google should give you a lot of good info.
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 12:18 PM   #9 
Amphibianite

here found a few links to help you out
http://aqualandpetsplus.com/Live%20F...Microworms.htm
http://aqualandpetsplus.com/Live%20F...0Infusoria.htm
Amphibianite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 12:29 PM   #10 
betta lover1507

i would condition them for 2-3 weeks, mines spawned in 2 weeks. believe me your gonna be scared for them so much it drives me crazy when the dad puts them in his mouth because i think is gonna eat them o.0

also signs of the like each other:

S- motion swimming

wiggle dance A.K.A flirting

female has these stripes - || | | || this will only appear if the female is dark colored

male builds bubble nest. but if your female is in the chimney and he ain't building anything, he will build a bubble nest when she's released

if the female is NOT flaring at him crazily release her

it might take up 3 days for them to spawn. if he is attacking her, or just flaring at her only, that's fine, it's normal for the male to do that. i hope this helps.
also keep us posted and take some pics love to see the parents =]

Last edited by betta lover1507; 09-01-2011 at 12:36 PM.
betta lover1507 is offline   Reply With Quote