Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-31-2011, 04:16 PM   #1 
Findlay

55gal tank... oh my!

Needless to say, I'm super excited about getting a (free!!) 55 gallon tank... x10million!!

I'm not sure of the exact dimensions (anyone know?) but I am thinking about making it into a divided home for my 4 boys... and I'll be getting more, if there is enough room to divide for more!

Maybe I'll turn my vacant two 10gals into sororites!? Who knows...
I have about a month til I get the 55gal anyway, I'll keep this a a log for myself and for those out there who are interested in keeping up with my adventures. So for now, this thread is pretty useless lol, but I'll update with pics as soon as I can! YAY! I can't wait!
Kbyethnx
Findlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 04:29 PM   #2 
mjoy79

sounds like fun! I can't imagine having a tank that big :)
mjoy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 04:35 PM   #3 
Findlay

Hehe, it should be interesting! I think I'm ready for a monster tank
I just gotta figure out how to fit it into a Mustang lol
Old 08-31-2011, 04:59 PM   #4 
lordadamar

I have a 55 gallon, allot of space...

Heres a good place to reference size...

http://www.aqueonproducts.com/produc...-aquariums.htm

IMO 55 gallon is to much for a single beta...

With 48 inches across I divide it up into 4 or 5 sections...
lordadamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 05:11 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

Awesome....instead of divided for males...make it into the sorority.....lots of live plants and some other species of fish too....lol......

Does it come with lights.....if not...you can light it for plants for under 20 bucks.....

The first thing you need to do when you get it.....do a 24h leak test...set it up outside on a level surface and fill it up and let it sit for 24h....even if it was not leaking before you got it or you were told it didn't leak.....one tiny twist can crack a seal.....or if it had been sitting empty and dry....the seals can dry and crack....talk about a mess.......

Look forward to seeing your new tank develop.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 05:44 PM   #6 
Kytkattin

I second what OFL said. It would be much better suited for a sorority. You could have a good 20+ girls, better than the 5 you could have in a 10 gallon. That is, they would be less stressed being kept all together. It would look a lot better too without dividers, less likely that the dividers would fail, allowing fights, etc. Planted it would be a real showstopper!
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:30 AM   #7 
Findlay

I'm starting to lean towards a planted sorority! As of right now, it's just a tank. No hood/light/filter/heater... so I guess it's not really 'free' lol
Still, it will be a fun project to work on!

I'm definitely gonna do a leak check - it was used to house a reptile in the past, and has been outside for a while... yikes. I might just re-seal the corners to be on the safe side!!

All this planning... my hubby has no clue... yet! Muahahaha
Do you think I can have this tank sitting on the floor - carpeted floor, that is... ? Or will I have to find a stand?
Siiiigh
Old 09-01-2011, 11:39 AM   #8 
Oldfishlady

You can make a stand using cinder blocks and 2x6......lights......you can get duel bulb shops lights and the daylight 6500k bulbs for plants-I hang mine from ceiling with hooks and chains or if your hubby is handy...have him build a canopy for it for the shop lights.....cost me less than $20.00 to light one of my 55g soil based heavy planted tanks....found an iron stand on craigslist for $20. but before that I had them on cinder blocks and 2x6 stand I made...

Make sure its not a reptile tank...they are different than aquarium......reptile tanks glass isn't as thick and can't hold the pressure of the water....
Old 09-01-2011, 02:06 PM   #9 
Findlay

It's an aquarium, I just double checked. I think the former owner got it on sale as decided to stick a bearded dragon in it instead of fishies. Boooo!
S O E X C I T E D!!
Old 09-01-2011, 03:23 PM   #10 
Oldfishlady

I am excited for you.....so much fun setting up a new aquarium....makes me want to tear one of my big tanks down and do it again....lol....almost...laffs....so I will have to get my fix by just working on the 20gal that started leaking and get it re-sealed...... I need to get it set back up soon for some of the Bettas I have outside to go in...dang thing started leaking on me after 3 years and I didn't notice it for about a month or so.....

You have so many directions you can go with a 55gal too......looking forward to watching you set this big boy up......so we expect lots of pics......lol.....

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 09-01-2011 at 03:27 PM.

Tags
55gal, big, divided, sorority, tank