Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-30-2011, 09:23 PM   #1 
Trienchieu

How to make my new betta get used to flakes and pellets?

Ok I have aquaeon betta pellets and one of this freebies packet its nutrafin max betta color enhancing flakes. How do I make it use to both and eat the flakes in the morning and pellets at night? If not then which food should I feed him out of the two?
Trienchieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:26 PM   #2 
Kytkattin

You should probably just throw away the flakes. They probably are not very good quality. However, variety is important. If you can, frozen bloodworms would be great!
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:38 PM   #3 
Trienchieu

Well then how do I make him get use to both food of variety is important?????
Trienchieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:42 PM   #4 
hmckin20

Getting a betta adjusted to a food can take a little time. Usually betta eat within the first few days of being purchased, though there are plenty of exceptions. If you've been feeding them something else and they're just snubbing the food, refrain from offering them anything else and let them get a little hungry. Eventually they'll warm up to whatever you offer them. However, make sure it's just a pickiness problem, as betta do tend to stop eating when they're ill.

I use Aqueon Betta pellets and my fishies love it. (: Just give them some time.

Also as Kytkattin mentioned, the flakes probably aren't of much redeeming nutritious value.
hmckin20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 10:29 PM   #5 
missm83

my little guy would spit the pellets out !lol but after day 3 he got hungry and wasn't as picky!..i got him the flakes,and friezed dried shrimp but not a big fan..now (2weeks later) he lovess his pellets. dont worry to much he will get use to them in no time
missm83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 01:05 AM   #6 
Kytkattin

Sorry, I should clarify. The flakes, as hmckin20 said, are probably very poor quality. Instead, for variety I would recommend you try another high quality pellet, such as New Life Spectrum, or frozen foods, such as bloodworms or brine shrimp. Pellets generally are preferred over flakes because it is easier to see how much you are feeding.
Old 08-31-2011, 02:01 AM   #7 
HatsuneMiku

one of my bettas eats goldfish flakes ..

only because i didn't have any betta specific food with my first betta since they didn't have the kind of betta food i wanted to get (hikari betta bio-gold) .. and i didn't want my little guy to starve while i was looking for that specific brand of food .. and he couldn't just live off freeze dried worms .. so i thought i'd take a goldfish flake and crumple it so it would be tiny pieces and he ate it =D ..

then when i got the pellets .. he ate those too .. he's a little piggie and eats anything i give him .. once i fed him too close to his plant .. and a pellet landed on the leaf of the plant and he took a chomp off the plant .. and it had his oval bite mark on the plant .. =D .. i loled
HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 02:00 PM   #8 
Reece

I can't help with the topic but just wanted to know, if I put a pellet in the tank and my Betta doesn't eat it, is it ok to take the pellet out even though it's been in the water? That probably sounds quite dumb lol
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 04:24 PM   #9 
Kytkattin

Mistress: Do keep in mind that goldfish are omnivores, but mostly plant eaters, meaning that goldfish food will probably be mostly plant materials. Bettas don't really digest this or get nutrients from plant based foods. Might cause bloat, or other problems. Just something to consider. :)

Reece: Yes, absolutely take out any food that your fish doesn't eat. This will help maintain water quality.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:24 PM   #10 
HatsuneMiku

it was only for 2 weeks till i got the good stuff in the mail =D

it never caused any problems .. i mean he even took a bite out of the real plant i have in there anyway .. so maybe he's a vegetarian =P .. nonetheless .. he still eats everything i put in there .. and waits for me to take the feeding spoon out .. and then he goes crazy cus he knows he's gonna get fed .. =D
HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote