Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-03-2011, 06:13 PM   #1 
londongirl

Betta food......pellets vs flakes

I went to the pet shop again 2day van't seem 2 stay away lol, n while i was there i picked up some betta flakes i know they arent ideal but i dont like the idea of not feeding them + 1 day of no food n chimchar n squirtle seem very sulky usually they come right up to the surface when they see me but 2day they just hid as if 2 say i dont like u no more lol, so i gave them some of the flakes when i got back cos they still wont eat the pellets and they ate the entire lot i put in now my question is on the back of the tub it says 2 feed 7 small amounts daily. This seems a bit much 2 me or is it normal for betta fish, my other tropical fish only get fed twice a day once 1st thing in morning then again last thing at night.
Should i follow the instuctions on the tub and feed several times a day or not.

PLEASE help dont wana over feed them n possibly make them ill.
londongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 07:55 PM   #2 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by londongirl View Post
I went to the pet shop again 2day van't seem 2 stay away lol, n while i was there i picked up some betta flakes i know they arent ideal but i dont like the idea of not feeding them + 1 day of no food n chimchar n squirtle seem very sulky usually they come right up to the surface when they see me but 2day they just hid as if 2 say i dont like u no more lol, so i gave them some of the flakes when i got back cos they still wont eat the pellets and they ate the entire lot i put in now my question is on the back of the tub it says 2 feed 7 small amounts daily. This seems a bit much 2 me or is it normal for betta fish, my other tropical fish only get fed twice a day once 1st thing in morning then again last thing at night.
Should i follow the instuctions on the tub and feed several times a day or not.

PLEASE help dont wana over feed them n possibly make them ill.
dont trust the proportions listed on the bottle. the stomach is about the size of the eye. i usually give 2.5 they eye size a day.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 08:05 PM   #3 
londongirl

So basically I should follow my gut n not feed asmuch as stated, see I was thinking of doing that but didn't wana then possibly be under feeding them n end up with sick or extremely thin bettas
londongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 08:25 PM   #4 
iloveengl

Especially for piggy fish like bettas, it's better to feed less than more. Too much food can cause constipation, SBD, and poor water conditions.
iloveengl is offline   Reply With Quote