Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-19-2011, 07:18 PM   #21 
smellsfishie

hmm, alright. Thanks for the advice. I'm going to monitor it during the rest of his course of maracn/maracyn2 and see if it changes at all.

Epsom salt I assume is to help with the possible build up of fluids in his eyes. That will not do anything if it is parastic, though, right?
smellsfishie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 10:59 AM   #22 
Oldfishlady

The Epsom salt should help with the edema and stopping the use of water softener water should as well.....it will not do much for external parasites....depending on what it is...manual removal with tweezers and vacuum of any eggs for manual removal...there are products you can use.....but I don't use them and can't recommend....you may want to ask Darkmoon....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 12:44 PM   #23 
smellsfishie

Ok.. well I don't know how I can stop using my tap water for water changes... I have over 61 gallons of water in my room.. and use a siphone hose that connects to the faucet for water changes. I have a 3 gallon bucket but that's about my limit weight wise to carry... I guess while treating him with epsom salt I could try to put him in bottled water...? But eventually he will need to be back in tap water.

I think the bubble on his side got smaller today. Just did a quick check before work. I have a hard time believing it is a parasite since he is the only inhabitant in a brand new tank, and has only been in it for a few days...

I will keep an eye on it. Thank you for your help.
Old 08-20-2011, 04:26 PM   #24 
Oldfishlady

Wasn't he already sick or in bad shape when you got him??? he may have came with the parasite(if this is what it is).....most fish have them both internal and external-the immune response of a healthy fish is what keeps them controlled or from being symptomatic......I don't think it has anything to do with the tank or husbandry you have provided.......

Having a lot of tanks and using a python type siphon hooked up to the faucet would be a challenge....no way to turn off or bypass the softening unit?......
I can't post the links here...but google the softening system you are using and research the Ion exchange and how it relates to long term fish health...especially the type of systems that use salt......they can cause adverse effect as it pertains to osmoregulation-the sodium often drives out the essential trace elements/mineral/electrolytes that a fish needs for long term health......

If you do change the source water-be sure and acclimate to the chemistry...but I am sure you already know to do this......

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.....keep us posted.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 07:37 PM   #25 
smellsfishie

I guess I didn't think about him possibly coming to me with a parasite... :/ The bubble is gone now, but his fin is still spread out a little.

I will try to find out about the softener. Thanks for the good info... It is definitely worth looking into, considering how much time and $$ I spend on these fish.

I really appreciate your input. Thank you.
Old 08-30-2011, 04:29 PM   #26 
smellsfishie

To update, he has now been through treatment for gram pos, gram neg bacterial, and fungus, and his eyes are still bugging out. He is otherwise very active and happy, no more bubbles growing out anywhere. I wonder, could it be that his eyes are just meant to be that way? Maybe it is a genetic deformity? Well, I think next I will try the epsom salt alone and see what that does... I just need to find it. Been looking but haven't found any yet. Maybe general cure also to see if it is a parasite?? ergh...
Old 09-01-2011, 09:28 AM   #27 
Sakura8

Smellie, how is Wingnut acting? I noticed he's a so-called "big ear" betta; maybe since big ear bettas aren't naturally occuring, his pop-eye really is genetic, like a by-product of the breeding to create big ears? I wish I knew what to suggest but just trying epsom salt seems like the best bet for now.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 07:50 PM   #28 
smellsfishie

Yes, I finally got some epsom salt today. I am going to start it soon. He is acting great, he loves to swim swim swim and he eats fine as soon as he can find the food. Unfortunately, as I may have said before, i think he is mostly blind. Maybe can just see shadows. He has to feel the food over his back to eat it. i watch him do it... it's very interesting how he "feels it out" and then chomps. He usually misses. But he gets it eventually. :) Poor guy. Hopefully the epsom salt works. If not, then, I might try the anti parasitic... or maybe try both at once, I don't know. I'll figure out something. :P