Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-03-2011, 08:05 PM   #1 
BlakbirdxGyarados

Sick betta from store, need help on healing

Well, we got a new shipment in yesterday of betta fish at the store. Unsurprisingly, a few came in sick. Today I brought one home, a female, to try and help her out since it looks like she's suffering from fit rot... and who knows what else. I gave her a water change before I got out of work and am about to put her in a 1g Kritter Keeper with low water level and aquarium salt.
I'll put up pictures in a few minutes, I've got my camera ready now. Any suggestions to help her out? Her tail is also very tightly clamped and she mainly stays on the bottom of her cup, breathing a little heavily.

Another thing: she does eat. I fed all the bettas before I did water canges on them, and I noticed she ate her food.
BlakbirdxGyarados is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 09:47 PM   #2 
BlakbirdxGyarados

Pictures (sorry it took so long, Photoshop decided to randomly crash while I was resizing them):

http://s1185.photobucket.com/albums/...%20Fish/Ember/

I quick-dosed her with Betta Revive until her water was ready and treated. I'll get shot of her in clear water soon, but this will help you help me, hopefully.
Old 09-03-2011, 10:19 PM   #3 
BlakbirdxGyarados

No replies? =\

In any case, an update: I was about to put her in the treated water, and I noticed her tail isn't clamped as horribly tight as I photographed. Betta Revive seems to be working, but I'd still appreciate assistance.
Old 09-03-2011, 10:33 PM   #4 
Tikibirds

I wish I could help but I can't tell what's wrong with her.

I think the active ingredient in betta revive is malachite green which I beleive is used to treat external parasites?? Did you notice anything that looked like grains of salt on her body? If you shine a flashlight on her do you see anything that looks like gold flakes? white fuzzy patches?

Also, maybe she is just stressed from shipment?
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 11:59 PM   #5 
Pataflafla

In the 8th picture it does look like she has some specks on her. I don't know if those are air bubbles or what, but I think clean, warm water and maybe some aq salt would be the best course for her.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 12:24 AM   #6 
BlakbirdxGyarados

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikibirds View Post
I wish I could help but I can't tell what's wrong with her.

I think the active ingredient in betta revive is malachite green which I beleive is used to treat external parasites?? Did you notice anything that looked like grains of salt on her body? If you shine a flashlight on her do you see anything that looks like gold flakes? white fuzzy patches?

Also, maybe she is just stressed from shipment?
I know photos can only say so much as opposed to seeing the fish in person, but even I'm having trouble. Thus... this thread.

BR is a mixture of malachite green and methalyne blue. She doesn't have ich or any other type of parasite that I can see, though there is this weird film across her body... I don't know if this is my headache talking, but do bettas' slime coats go bad and peel when a certain something is wrong? There's no signs of velvet either, but it's hard to see her belly when she's almost always on the bottom. There may be some fungus on her... I guess the white fuzzy patch you're talking about?...around her gills, but that might also be the film that's on her.

She was in clean water when I brought her home. It was dirty again during the photoshoot because of that film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pataflafla View Post
In the 8th picture it does look like she has some specks on her. I don't know if those are air bubbles or what, but I think clean, warm water and maybe some aq salt would be the best course for her.
It does look like it, now that I'm looking at the picture again, but I think the camera was a tad off focus. She doesn't have ich, if that's what you mean; rather, she was in clean water as I brought her home. There's some kind of film coming off her... maybe a fungus or a layer of slime coat peeling off? (Like I said to Tikibirds, I might be going insane from my headache if slime coats don't do that.)

She's now in a 1g KK with low water level, and the water is a mixture with Aq salt.

Thanks to both of you. Her tail has slowly, but surely unclamped.... Well, it still is, but definitely not as if a strongman was holding her tail together. She's still hanging around the bottom, but overall seems to have perked a bit. If there's anything you guys can see wrong from the new pictures I'm about to get, let me know please. Hopefully there isn't.
Old 09-04-2011, 12:27 AM   #7 
Pataflafla

Bettas can shed their slimecoats when something external affects them, so maybe she produced a thicker coat to try and protect herself from the ammonia and gunk build up in her cup, and now that she's in clean water she's shedding it.

In any case, clean water and a little aq salt is the best course of treatment since the aq salt should take care of external parasites or ammonia burns as will the clean water.
Old 09-04-2011, 12:34 AM   #8 
BlakbirdxGyarados

We clean betta cups every day before close, but I guess if they're sick, they don't take it as well... and I know different bettas tolerate different conditions....

Also it's good to know that I'm not going crazy.

Edit to my last post: My room stays pretty much a constant 82'F thanks to the humidity from all my fish tanks and my turtle Samm's tank, the air conditioning vent being closed (it's on the ceiling, and it closes itself X__x), my door always being closed, and it being 108'F outside. Maybe it's hard on me, but if it's good for the animals, I can survive.... If anything I can just go cool off by walking out the door for a minute. |D
Editedit: The reason for that edit was to say that her water is probably about 80-82'F. None of the tanks' heaters are on because they won't turn on, and the 20g is reading 84'F.
Old 09-04-2011, 12:38 AM   #9 
Pataflafla

Sounds like maybe she just stressed from shipping then. She might have made an extra thick coat out of stress from that, and now that she's feeling a little more secure she's shedding it.

As far as your room conditions, it must suck to be in there. Humidity sucks, but if it's good for their health then so be it. Good thing you can take a quick step out to cool off. Sucks about your vent too. I hate it when they close and are just out of reach.
Old 09-04-2011, 12:48 AM   #10 
BlakbirdxGyarados

I also had the thought that who knows how well the bettas are cared as far as water changes go for before they get mass-shipped to the pet stores. They are mutt-bred usually, so who knows what kind of people the breeders are. The bettas are also coming from Tampa, which is 10 hours away from us. That being a straight drive, not including stops. Still, what you're saying sounds about right as far as she looks. Also didn't realize a fish could build up an extra coat of slime... learn something every day... even if I should've guessed. >__>

And yeah, I'm sweating just sitting at my desk on the computer. Not horribly, but just that hot and humid sort of effect. The house is also about... 60 years old? Or maybe 50. Still old. The vents can suck if we don't pay attention to fix it, but I'm sort of used to the way my room is now.
Anyway, I'm too short to fix it, even if I stand on my bed. Darn these asian genes of mine.