Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-04-2011, 02:05 AM   #71 
BlakbirdxGyarados

Quote:
Originally Posted by krelda View Post
Actually, funny story though, I went to petco today and the lady that worked there told me that bettas don't like lots of space, she told me that I shouldn't get more than a 2.5 gallon tank. I've read all the threads about you complaining about people who work at pet stores, but until today I didn't really understand how stupid some people really can be LOL
I'm sorry, but I can't help but be curious and interested in this story.... (I still haven't heard such stupidity in a pet store... yet.)
How'd you react to her saying that?

Correction: Not stupidity, but ignorance. Unless it was stupidity? I don't know the person, lol
BlakbirdxGyarados is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 02:12 AM   #72 
krelda

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakbirdxGyarados View Post
I'm sorry, but I can't help but be curious and interested in this story.... (I still haven't heard such stupidity in a pet store... yet.)
How'd you react to her saying that?

Correction: Not stupidity, but ignorance. Unless it was stupidity? I don't know the person, lol
She says she owns several betas so I don't know how she can be so ignorant. I just told her thanks for the advice but I think I'll stick with what I researched and what I came here to get. If I hadn't been in such a hurry (don't live near the petco) I might have tried to explain to her what bettas REALLY like. After spending 5 minutes here I understood that small tanks are bad, how can you really work in a pet store and not get that?
krelda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 02:23 AM   #73 
BlakbirdxGyarados

Work in a pet store that's got chain stores, that's how. Ignorance seems to spread faster that way, as mainstream advice passes on as professional advice between each store.

It depends on who's actually running the individual store, too. It could be a dog-lover who doesn't know better about fish, or it could be a real professional.

Also: That's a good way to react, actually.... I'm a little too hardcore on people when it comes to bettas. xD; So no matter if I had time or not, I'd probably argue truths.... (I also love to argue :V Not going to be a lawyer, though, 'cause I'm not good at lying.) No thanks to this site, but at the same time, I'm just glad I do know better.

Last edited by BlakbirdxGyarados; 09-04-2011 at 02:25 AM.
Old 09-04-2011, 02:24 AM   #74 
Sakura8

Welllll, some bettas do seem to prefer smaller tanks. Not all, but some. However, what really gets me with petstore employees is when they say to change the water in a .5 gallon tank once a week and no, bettas don't need heaters. I've gotten into arguments with employees over the issues of heaters. I mean, I understand that they don't need heaters in the summer if you live in a warm climate, but most of us are going to experience winters where the temperatures drop to 50 degrees or less. Bottom line is unless you live in a tropical climate like, oh, Thailand or the equator, you need a heater.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 02:34 AM   #75 
BlakbirdxGyarados

^

True some do like the smaller tanks better... I've yet to have or know one that prefers it though. (Unless my half-blind fish doesn't like the 5g after Ninja moves out. Then I'll know, lul.)

It doesn't get cold in Thailand even in December. That's when I was there and I was wearing shorts. And I still felt too hot.

Though there's some employees who think Siamese Fighting Fish are from Japan.... Yes, winters are harsh in Japan... but they're Not from Japan... so what even is your education.
That's what really ticks me.

(Forgive me for being so freaking Thai this and that. I'm my own worst enemy and I kick myself for being too proud of my genetics.)
Old 09-04-2011, 02:40 AM   #76 
Sakura8

Be proud of who you are and proud of coming from the homeland of bettas. And I still can't believe there are those who think bettas came from Japan and Korea.
Old 09-04-2011, 02:51 AM   #77 
BlakbirdxGyarados

Adding to that, I think people need to stop calling them rice "puddles" and instead just replace that with fields.... First picture in my head when I hear puddles is maybe half an inch of water and 5" diameter rain puddle thing. I hear rice fields and I know the water is knee-deep.

And I am proud of who I am and where my ancestors are from... And happy that it happens to be the same as bettas, since I can argue a bit more easily, since I've "been there and seen that". Helps make me more of a reliable source I guess...?
Anyway, Japan and Korea, that's absurd. It's too cold. How a tropical fish can not need a heater, is what I want to know.
I've also heard people say "Chinese fighting fish". Sure, it was a kid and he probably heard "Siamese" as "Chinese", but it still makes me wonder.... Angrily wonder....
Old 09-04-2011, 03:05 AM   #78 
Sakura8

I totally agree with the puddles thing. Now killifish, they really spawn in puddles (well, pretty big puddles but still not exactly lakes either) because they spawn in water that dries up after the rainy season. But bettas? They need lots of water. More than a puddle.