Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-03-2011, 09:15 PM   #1 
BlakbirdxGyarados

Help me name an opal betta fish!

I don't have pictures of him yet, I just got him today (even though I know I realy shouldn't have, but he's going to be a gift to my fiance [who doesn't know it yet]). I'm trying to get pictures that capture just how gorgeous he is... but 1. the lighting his QT has right now Really doesn't do him justice and 2. my camera isn't cooperating right now :V

But to give you guys a general idea of his look...

He's a halfmoon. Probably no older than 3 months old, so TINY tiny... (so his cuteness also contributed to the purchase)...

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_3FSBsOsrBe...te+betta+2.JPG This is what he's sort of like as a betta (not size-wise of course)

And THIS: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...pal-white1.jpg

THIS... is what his scales do as he turns in the light. 8D

I PROMISE, PICTURES SOON... D:< Camera! Please help me out like this light isn't!
BlakbirdxGyarados is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 10:22 PM   #2 
teasell

Congratulations he sounds lovely. I've always loved the opal gemstone and to have that in a Betta sounds heavenly.

As for a name can't help you there. Usually names come to me as I get to know what I am naming.

I have two Bettas one named Ghost (Halfmoon) and one I just got today at Petsmart a very small doubletail he's supposed to be a halfmoon but I'm just seeing the doubletail and he really is so pretty, purple shimmery body and I think his fins will be red when he settles in. Tomorrow I hope to photo him and Ghost in their seperate tanks and introduce them to you all......Lynne
teasell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 02:18 AM   #3 
BlakbirdxGyarados

Thank, Lynne! Even at work, the co-owner wished she could bring him home he was so unusual and beautiful... her husband said no because she's also betta-crazy and has many bettas at home. xD She was happy to see me take him, though, as she knows I take great care of my fish.

Give the new, young bettas a few months. Their Halfmoon traits will soon show up. It took mine about 4 and a half months to prove his genetics were Halfmoon. He's got huge fins now, too. Looking forward to the pictures... PM me the thread? Sometimes they're hard to find when I'm away, and I'm interested in the way they look.

As for names, I usually come up with them based on how my betta looks and what colors they have. Most of the time, it ends up that the name fits them perfectly.
For example, Ninja's very good at hiding even in the emptiest of tanks, but just as I start to get in a panic, he shows up out of nowhere.
Jade was named after a type of rock/mineral that's very valuable in Thailand. He marbled from being an all white Halfmoon to almost literally the colors of the Thai flag, and in the correct order of the colors, too. Here's a picture of him when he looked that way (he's marbled the white away, now): http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/...e/Jade_038.jpg
I'm just hoping that whatever name I give this Opal HM, it will fit him as he gets bigger and older.

By the way, here's a few pictures I got:

I still can't capture the opal effect his scales have. When I get him out of his QT tomorrow morning, I'll use my LED lights to get a brighter and better picture.

Last edited by BlakbirdxGyarados; 09-04-2011 at 02:20 AM.
Old 09-04-2011, 11:15 AM   #4 
stripedsocks

Wooow, he looks stunning :o I can't wait to see if you get those pictures of his scales shining! For some reason I really like the name Castiel for him :P
stripedsocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 12:00 PM   #5 
Rocketscissors

He's awesome! Name him pearl? Kinda girly but I like it! xD
Rocketscissors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 12:42 PM   #6 
BlakbirdxGyarados

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripedsocks View Post
Wooow, he looks stunning :o I can't wait to see if you get those pictures of his scales shining! For some reason I really like the name Castiel for him :P
Castiel... actually I kind of like that.... >___> Hmmmm....
Also, pictures below!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketscissors View Post
He's awesome! Name him pearl? Kinda girly but I like it! xD
I thought about Pearl, too, but then the picture I get in my head is Pearl from Spongebob. XD So I can't.

---

Pictures!
I still can't capture his scales like I wish I could, but I'm not going to stop trying. After my batteries charged for about 5 minutes, I managed to snag these:

Accidentally made it pic-heavy. xD Should this thread be moved to Betta Pictures?
Old 09-04-2011, 12:44 PM   #7 
BlakbirdxGyarados

Sorry for the double-post, but I just noticed Eli on the 5th picture. I so wish I had that focused on him, just to get that huge face of his. xDD
Old 09-04-2011, 12:46 PM   #8 
freeflow246

I'd say Prince, or Prince Charming, but that's my childish side coming out. :3
freeflow246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 12:49 PM   #9 
BlakbirdxGyarados

Hehehe... I'm usually not one for names like that. Only fish I named "pet" sort of names were Ninja, Gyarados, Revenant, and Bandit. Might sound like most of my fish right there, but I do have more than just bettas. :D
Old 09-04-2011, 12:52 PM   #10 
freeflow246

I know what you mean haha. I don't name many of my animals 'pet' names either. XD
freeflow246 is offline   Reply With Quote