Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-02-2011, 02:28 AM   #1 
MrNighttime

Egging?

Sorry, I dont have pics. But two of my females who have been fine look like they have swollen bellies....one CT female's white spot on the belly seems a bit bigger and protruding. Both of them are just resting on the bottom with their tails in the air. They will swim up for air but go right back down to teh bottom to resume the position.

What is odd is that the first one I noticed is usually the most active, and was in the corner of the tank in that odd position. I pulled her out and placed her into a seperate cup to watch her. When I did...the other one went to that same corner and did the same thing. So two of the six are resting on their bellies with their fishy behinds in the air.

Are they egging out and should I be worried. Or is this something else?
MrNighttime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 02:37 AM   #2 
Snappyarcher

First test water. Eliminate the basics and tell us more bout the tank.
Posted via Mobile Device
Snappyarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 02:54 AM   #3 
MrNighttime

Basic 10 gallon, filtered, water changes every week. Lots of hiding spots. Water is fine and I just cleaned the tank even.
Old 09-02-2011, 11:50 AM   #4 
Punki

When my female gets eggy her tail does float at an angle, it doesnt affect her buoyancy or anything at all, shes just plump, head down, butt up, submissive :P Do you have any males in their view at all? Maybe they are confusing one of your girls with a male, or a male snuck in XD
Punki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 05:40 PM   #5 
MrNighttime

Well...Red died. Found her 10 mins ago on the bottom. BB seemed to be doing okay and was back to zipping around the tank. Now she is resting on leaf hammock. Now LIberty is showing the same behavior.

Can a fish die from egging and not expelling the eggs? Red was a tiny thing and maybe she had complications passing them out.

I dunno. If they all start to die off I am giving up on females. THey were fine till the other day. I did water changes and added meds...pretty confused and dont want anymore girls to die.
Old 09-03-2011, 05:53 PM   #6 
Punki

Im sorry to hear that Night. It can happen, but is very uncommon for a female to die from being egg bound. Could they possibly be bloated instead? It really couldnt hurt at this point to take out the female whos acting like red did and treat her. For bloating/buoyancy issues you tank a gallon jug of conditioned water and put 1tsp of epsom salt (you can buy this at the pharmacy) in the jug, let it dissolve, then put it in the quarantine container she will be staying in. If she isnt coming up for air as often as usual you may want to keep the water level low on the QT container so she can get up and down easier. You change out 100% of the water in her container daily for 10 days. Usually by day 4-5 theres improvement. If nothing else you can get good look at her poops (gross i know :P) It could be constipation or it could be parasites possibly, but epsom should help her relax since it will help relieve bloating. Then you can go from there. I know it seems weird to use Epsom salts on a fish but its gentle and it works. I put a month old baby betta in 2 tsp of epsom salts for a month now and he/she is just now growing out of a swim bladder issue. So no worries. I hope you can save your little girls. I lost my first at 2 weeks to something similar, but girls have so much personality and spunk, itd be a shame to give up on them forever :) Goodluck!
Punki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 03:36 PM   #7 
MrNighttime

Liberty died last night too. She started acting like the others who were affected and then about 10pm she was gone. But BB is a lot more active and swimming around. She will still find places to perch and stay but not for long periods like the two who died did.

I am holding off on feeding in case it is constipation.

Oddly, when Liberty was sick and laying on the gravel...the other girls would come and prod her. Liberty would swim around to get away but none of the girls pursued her. It was like they were trying to keep her moving and telling her to not give up. Yeah...I'm dumb for thinking so...but it looked like it.

Still just playing the waiting game.