Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-04-2011, 07:57 PM   #1 
cowgirlheeler

Exclamation Fins turning white

I'm somewhat new to fish, but I'm doing my best. My betta ia acting healthy and swimming around a lot, but the tips of his fins are turning white.

Is that natural, or is something wrong.

And if so, what do I do?

Will Bettafix be helpful??

I've got him in a 2.5 gallon cycled tank with some decorations, live plants, tank heater and filter.

Thanks so much!
Attached Images

cowgirlheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 08:02 PM   #2 
MaggieLynn

bettafix wouldnt help, it is actually not that good for bettas there is an ingredient in it that will irritate their labyrinth organ. Im not sure what is up but if you could fill out the sticky on the the emergancy page it should be 3rd down that would really help
MaggieLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 08:04 PM   #3 
DragonFish

You mean those little white bits on his anal fin and ventrals?
Thats nothing to worry about....looks to me like hes just marbling, meaning hes just changing colors. ;) Its not harmful, nor does it mean anything is wrong....its just a gene some bettas posses/are even bred for.
Perfectly normal and natural. :)
Hes quite a lovely boy by the way :)
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 08:09 PM   #4 
cowgirlheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFish View Post
You mean those little white bits on his anal fin and ventrals?
Thats nothing to worry about....looks to me like hes just marbling, meaning hes just changing colors. ;) Its not harmful, nor does it mean anything is wrong....its just a gene some bettas posses/are even bred for.
Perfectly normal and natural. :)
Hes quite a lovely boy by the way :)

Yeah, I had read some places that said the turning white was normal, but other places said it might be a fungus or fin rot, so I thought it would be best to post a couple of pics and ask those that know more than me!

Thanks, I think he's a pretty handsome guy too! He's been active so I didn't think he was sick but just wanted to be sure.
Old 09-04-2011, 08:27 PM   #5 
DragonFish

Ahh, yes, it can indeed be a tricky thing if you don't know what you're looking for to distinguish what is what....but to me he looks like a very healthy and handsome little fellow with just a touch of marbling going on ;)
Usually something fungal/bacterial would look rather fuzzy and he would likely be acting a little off....and finrot is actually black, not white. Just for future reference ;)

Ahh, it can never hurt to make sure, I certainly don't blame you xD We all worry and care about our little underwater puppies, even when theres nothing to worry about sometimes :)
Welcome to the forum by the way! xD
Old 09-04-2011, 09:15 PM   #6 
cowgirlheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFish View Post
Ahh, yes, it can indeed be a tricky thing if you don't know what you're looking for to distinguish what is what....but to me he looks like a very healthy and handsome little fellow with just a touch of marbling going on ;)
Usually something fungal/bacterial would look rather fuzzy and he would likely be acting a little off....and finrot is actually black, not white. Just for future reference ;)

Ahh, it can never hurt to make sure, I certainly don't blame you xD We all worry and care about our little underwater puppies, even when theres nothing to worry about sometimes :)
Welcome to the forum by the way! xD

Thanks so much for the help and for welcoming me!

Like I said, I'm new to fish, so I just wanted to make sure. I raise corgis and was raised around horses and livestock my whole life, so I can take care of the four legged critters, but the aquatic variety are new to me. And nothing bugs me more than people who buy dogs and are unprepared or just don't really take care of them.

Thanks again.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:45 PM   #7 
DragonFish

Oh! I ADORE Corgis :D I always thought they were just the cutest things <3 I had a friend growing up who had one, he was such a cuddly sweetheart.
^^; Anyway...

You're very welcome, I'm pleased I could help. :) Thats very good to hear, and I very much agree....fish, just like all other animals we keep, require research and preparation in order to care for them properly. And by the sound of your setup, it seems like you've definitely done just that. Seems like you've got everything together. :) Its always wonderful to find someone who has done their homework.

And(again sort of)welcome to the wonderful, and often very addicting, world of fish/betta keeping as well! xD Don't worry, we here on the forum are always ready to answer any questions you may have/fawn over pictures of your betta/setup xD