Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-05-2011, 08:58 AM   #1 
Osiris355

horzonal strip?

I just notices nova has 2 horzontal strips on him that he has not had before. what does that mean? is he becoming ill? he also has seemed to dul in color and only swim against the glass on the one side.
Osiris355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 09:00 AM   #2 
Myates

Could be stress stripes... Sorry, woke up not long ago so not thinking about the why and how right now. But I believe those to be stress stripes.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 09:01 AM   #3 
Osiris355

ok i kow he is eating very little as always but slowly over time eating more. does that have anything to do with it? should i do a water change?
Old 09-05-2011, 09:05 AM   #4 
dragonflie

Horizontal strips are a sign of stress, which can be due to illness, but isn't always the case. They might appear for any cause of stress. It might be a challenge to figure out sometimes what is bothering them, if they aren't showing other signs of illness.

A few things.

Is he eating properly? No bloated tummy?
Is the filter too powerful for him to handle? Some bettas don't mind the water movement, while others are bothered by it.
Is the light too bright for him? Again...some are bothered by bright lights and others aren't.
Is the temperature stable ("stable" being even more important that slightly too high or too low)?
Does he have any place to hide? Some are more skittish than others and bothered by too much movement outside the tank.
Is the area noisy?
Is your water chemistry ok for him? Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate readings.

Those are just a few things to check on along with physical changes that might lead you to think he could be ill.

That being said; even if he is not ill now, stress will lower our fish's immune system, so even if he is not ill now; to prevent it you will want to figure out what is bothering him.
dragonflie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 09:05 AM   #5 
Osiris355

is there anything i can do to help get rid of his stress? other than what i said his swiming is fine breathing and hes not hiding at all.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:08 AM   #6 
dragonflie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiris355 View Post
is there anything i can do to help get rid of his stress? other than what i said his swiming is fine breathing and hes not hiding at all.
If you're sure that ammonia or nitrite isn't bothering him, I would start by keeping his tank light off, and maybe just use the ambient light from the room so that his home is dim. Make sure his temperature isn't fluctuating; and if possible keep the activity around his tank to a minimum, including the noise level. If he is new, he might just have trouble adjusting.
dragonflie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 09:10 AM   #7 
Myates

You just need to leave him be, if you want my honest opinion. You just got him and were fussing over him a lot yesterday. He is eating for you, and you are wanting to do a water change but it's too soon imo, for your tank size.
Definately look over and check what Dragonflie mentioned. But just letting him rest and get used to his new home for now would be good for him.

Ack, posted while I was typing =P
What Dragonflie said
Old 09-05-2011, 09:10 AM   #8 
Osiris355

well see i was going to do water change today do to water haze. no bloat and he eats every little ever since i got him. he does have a cave he can hide in that when i look for him never find because i dont think to look in there. as far as the temp it is 82. for lighting he is on my dresser to the right side of my window so not to much light and not to little. i dont use his tank light at all. the filter at first seemed power ful but right now i have it turned off due to the suction. i plane on doing something so his fins dont get sucked up today during water change. the area he is in is quiet. levels i dont know as i was short on time a money so i was not able to buy test kit. like i saidd i was going to do a water change like every 3 days until i get the test kit.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:13 AM   #9 
Myates

He is eating for you, you only had him a day hun.. sometimes takes up to 2 weeks for them to eat comfortably. Take the filter out and clean it prior to turning it back on. It will shoot out dead/bad bacteria into the tank. Panty hose tied to the intake tube may help if you are worried.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:15 AM   #10 
Osiris355

thats what i planed on doing.