Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-03-2011, 10:49 PM   #1 
bettafish15

Exclamation Bronze Cories & Betta in 14g?

I know they'll get along, but is that too small? I have ordered 4. I'm scared it is. The cories are being shipped out tuesday. Could someone tell me it's okay? :'D
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 11:08 PM   #2 
LittleBettas

I think its okay, but m not 100% sure

do you have sand or small smooth gravel? cories like to dig
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 11:53 PM   #3 
Alex09

perfectly fine. If you have good filtration/WC regimen and/or have the tank heavily planted you could get away with adding another type of fish. Perhaps something to take up the middle and top areas of the tank? some type of tetra or rasbora... just saying, the tank will look empty without some activity in the middle/top layers of the tank.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 08:51 AM   #4 
hedgehog

It's certainly okay space-wise but it really depends on the temperament of the betta. When you get the cories I would qt them in a tank without any light since they'll probably be stressed out. They stress really easily so I imagine shipping would do a number on them.
hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 10:10 AM   #5 
bettafish15

Alright, space wise I just got worried. The betta is not aggressive at all. :) I do have smooth gravel. Thanks for the suggestion on more fish, it might look empty at the top, you're right.
Old 09-04-2011, 10:33 AM   #6 
dragonflie

I hope I don't come across in a bad way, but this is text and sometimes it's hard to convey emotion; so all I say is intended to help.

There is no guarantee that they will get along, even if your betta does not seem aggressive now. And even simply chasing tankmates with no physical damage can stress the other inhabitants enough to cause them to hide. I experienced this even in a larger tank (20g), with a dwarf gourami; a fish that should have been ok as long as he was the only one of his kind, but he was not; and I had to separate him from my cories. And his aggression took at least a month to manifest.

Corydoras are wonderful little fish, and probably my favorite. While they eat from the bottom; mine spend most of their time on all levels of their tank. They are whimsical and playful, and spend alot of time "dancing," frolicking, or courting each other in preparation of spawning. When they feel stressed they hide; and that is not normal for them. And when any fish is stressed, it is more likely it will become ill.

So I say this to you, that what you plan might work or might not. Just please do keep a close eye on all in the tank, so that your little cories can be as happy as your betta. :) And because sometimes territoriality or food aggression takes time to manifest; have a spare tank on hand that you can put your betta in if need be.

I wish you luck! Corydoras are delightful little creatures. I was unable to house a betta or even a gourami with fellow fishes; I always ended up with the ones that got snarky.
dragonflie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 01:22 PM   #7 
bettafish15

Of course I know there is no garantee they'll get along. I have two (soon to be three) other bettas I could switch him out with if Spot doesnt like the cories. I have faith that spot will though. But yes, I will still keep an eye on them. :)