Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-05-2011, 10:03 AM   #41 
Luimeril

the lady from BettySplendens played with Dals, but then she sold almost all her stock, because she moved to Sweden. she bred a male dal, with a red female, and got all cambodian reds. :/ no clue if the dal was there at all.

http://bettysplendens.com/articles/p...articleid=1757

that's her article. that's what i go by, because that' the ONLY article i can find on dal breeding.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 11:59 AM   #42 
freeflow246

Huh, that's interesting. I'd love to give Dal breeding a try when I have the room/money/time.
freeflow246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 02:27 PM   #43 
LittleBettas

Thatsone of the articles I origianally read, though I am curious if any of the offspring later threw dal spawns (plausiable I think)
If I go through with breeding my dal guy it WILL be to an orange female, I know there is a higher chance I will get oranges or assorted colors since both my dal and the fmale will prob. be from unknown backgrounds, though and oranges or dals will be bred back with either my origianal male or female.... fingers crossed!

*still no luck in even finding a local female... sigh*
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 02:37 PM   #44 
Betta Slave

Dalmations don't breed true; I've read somewhere that if you breed two dals, you'll get maybe one or two (if any) fry with that coloring. It's not something you can really breed for. That's why, I'm assuming, there are so little dals on AB. You can't really set up a line of dals since the coloring doesn't "stick".
Betta Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 03:15 PM   #45 
LittleBettas

"dalmatian” spotting pattern behaves as a fully dominate gene, being passed onto all appropriate offspring"

http://betta-fish-care.org/orange-dalmatian-betta-fish/
Old 09-05-2011, 03:15 PM   #46 
Luimeril

so, they're like the tail-less cats, of the betta world. breeding dal to dal won't really give dals, so you gotta out-cross to orange, like with the manx cats, you gotta outcross to another breed to get any manx babies. x: that's pretty neat...
Old 09-05-2011, 03:37 PM   #47 
LittleBettas

From what I understand, that correct Luimeril! :)
Old 09-05-2011, 04:00 PM   #48 
Luimeril

that helps out alot, actually! i wondered why dal females were never seen, and this explains it, because you can't get dals out of a dal x dal pair!
Old 09-05-2011, 05:34 PM   #49 
freeflow246

That also explains why you don't see them that often. You wouldn't be able to breed Dals back to their siblings or parents, which breeders usually do to keep the color. So every time you try to make a new generation of Dals, there's a chance of you losing the Dal pattern. Interesting! I definitely want to give this a try!
freeflow246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 06:14 PM   #50 
LittleBettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeflow246 View Post
That also explains why you don't see them that often. You wouldn't be able to breed Dals back to their siblings or parents, which breeders usually do to keep the color. So every time you try to make a new generation of Dals, there's a chance of you losing the Dal pattern. Interesting! I definitely want to give this a try!
You can, and many people do breed back dals to the parent (especially if they had no dal offspring)
as with another article I read about, they bred the dal father to a red female, ended up with all reds and a few oranges, I believe they bred back one of the orange females to the dad and had some dal offspring