Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-29-2011, 08:57 PM   #1 
CurlyFrys

Help I cant figure out what is wrong with my betta!

I have raised bettas for years but as mine have always been kept healthy. I have never seen anything like this. I recently picked up a trio of white sibling bettas and the male had shredded fins and wont eat. I picked him thinking i could help him. but treating for fin rot has done nothing. he is in a temporary 1 gal. treatment tank. he just sits there and refuses to move or eat. when i feed him he ignores the food. he is about 10 months- 1 year old. im planning to move him to a 5 gal. with a heater at 80 F. but if you know anything that could help me save him please bestow your knowledge upon me.
CurlyFrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:20 PM   #2 
Kytkattin

If he is not heated right now then he definitely needs to be. Even if you just float him in a smaller bowl in the 5 gallon.

How are you treating him for fin rot? Does he actually have fin rot, or are his fins just shredded? How often are you doing water changes? How long have you had him? Don't worry too much about food right now. If he is very new he probably wouldn't eat anyways. Bettas do fine without food for a few days.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:57 PM   #3 
CurlyFrys

Thankyou for responding. I've had them for 13 days. Im changing the water about twice a week. Im treating for fin rot with jungle fungus eliminator. I believe he had fin rot, and his fins seem to be staying the same size but they are still shredded. I will move him to the 5 gal. asap. also ive been looking at getting aquarium salt ive heard that can be good for recovering bettas as long as its not over used. should i get some for him?
Old 08-29-2011, 10:26 PM   #4 
Kytkattin

Are the tips of his shredded fins turning black? If not then he probably does not have fin rot. I have heard mixed results on whether the AQ salt helps or hinders fin regrowth. The general rule is to not use it for more than 10 days, and it does prevent fin rot from setting in on fresh injuries. It sounds as though his injuries are kind of old at this point, so unless you can see that he has fin rot then I would not treat with salt, and also stop treating with the jungle tabs. Is the 5 gallon filtered and cycled? Exceptionally clean water is your best bet for getting him healthy and to encourage fin regrowth. Does the 5 gallon have any sort of plastic or silk plants that might further snag his fins? Do you have a test kit to check the ammonia levels?
Pictures would help someone who is more experienced than me accurately diagnose him.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 08:19 AM   #5 
Tikibirds

Maybe he is tail bitting which can be mistaken for fin rot. What tail type is he? Sometimes the heavier fined ones can become bitters. Some bite because they are stresed or angry. Some because they can or they are bored.
I don't think AQ salt helps regrow fins. I think it helps combat infections from the open wounds. Stress coat is good to use for fin regrowth and is also used for water conditioner.

I suppose it could also be from ammonia burns but my guess would be either bitting or fin rot.

Do the fins look like this? If so then he is a tail bitter.

Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 02:51 PM   #6 
CurlyFrys

ok I finally got some pics. I dont think he is a tail bitter. he still isnt eating. but im gld hes hanging in there hes in a 5 gal tank thats heated to 78 Fahrenheit. I took him out to take the pics. I hope these help
Attached Images

Old 09-05-2011, 07:25 PM   #7 
Myates

Good news, not fin rot. Looks like tail biting or decoration mishap. I would stop treatment with the meds and place him in his home with the correct water conditioner and stress coat. The stress coat will help regrow his fins.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 09:51 PM   #8 
CurlyFrys

ok. Thank you! also any idea of why he wont eat?
Old 09-06-2011, 07:37 AM   #9 
Myates

Each betta is different when it comes to eating once they arrive to their new home. Some eat right away, while others it can take up to two weeks before they feel comfortable enough to eat. If he is spitting the pellets out, try presoaking in tank water prior to feeding, or cutting them smaller. Can always soak them in garlic juice to make it almost unresistable to him as well. If you have access to frozen blood worms or brine shrimp, he would also love those and would be awesome for him. A variety is good for them, so you can try a couple different types of food that you are wanting to feed him.
Just try a piece of food at a time and eventually he will become hungry enough that he will eat. Adults can live up to two weeks without food, so for now, you don't have to worry *too much* =)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote