Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-05-2011, 10:49 AM   #1 
Tropical

Question Gravel or pebbles?

What is better for a betta? Gravel or pebbles? Pebbles are pretty, but I'm wondering if gravel is more beneficial.
Tropical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 10:51 AM   #2 
Fishmar

I've always used gravel...I'm not sure if one is more beneficial, just a matter of preference.
Fishmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 10:54 AM   #3 
Rocketscissors

I think they're both fine. I've always used gravel but it's just because that's what I see first
Rocketscissors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 11:00 AM   #4 
Laki

I would say it depends on the setup. I use orange and purple gravel (I think? Now I'm confused) bc I like how the color contrasts my betta!!For a more natural looking set up, though, natural stone pebbles would be better.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 11:00 AM   #5 
Tropical

Well, it doesn't seem that pebbles are a problem, so I think I'll stick with 'em in this tank. I use gravel in my other tank.
Tropical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 06:52 PM   #6 
Myates

Anything that isn't too rough I'd say. So their fins don't get snagged when they drag them on the bottom searching for any forgotten food, etc. I use the glass half rounded stones, or the larger shined stones because they are smooth and easy to clean out in smaller tanks. =)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 08:23 AM   #7 
Stardancer

I like the look of colored gravel, to contrast with the bright colors of the betta and just add more interest to the tank. I did, however, notice that my Top Fin (Petsmart brand) gravel seems to be shedding its color! They were blue originally. Now whenever I do a water change, the water seems to be tinted a bit blue and I can see that the gravel's starting to look patchy.

Luckily, it hasn't hurt Rory at all and now that there's a filter, the water's not as blue. It's just unsettling and kind of ugly (since the gravel's all weird-looking now). I would recommend not buying Top Fin brand colored gravel.
Stardancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 08:36 AM   #8 
Princess Penny

I have pebbles in my tank right now, I really like the way they look but I'll probably be switching to sand soon for my plants ;)
Princess Penny is offline   Reply With Quote