Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-28-2011, 08:52 AM   #1 
tf1265

Ich is only getting worse!

I have a female betta in a 10 gallon community tank with 3 mollies and 3 cories. They all seem to get along quite well.

About a week ago I noticed that my betta had some white specks in her tail, and immediately started treating the tank with Kordon Rid Ich +, since I knew it would only be a matter of time until the rest of my fish developed it.

Because of the cories, I pulled my betta out and put her in a QT tank and treated with a full dose of the rid ich. The rest of the tank I began treating with half-doses (cories are scaleless and don't tolerate medication very well). After treating for 4 days. The betta lost her ich spots and becuse my QT tank isn't a great set-up I moved her back into the main tank and continued to treat that with half-doses.

It's now been 7 days, and my betta looks WORSE than when I started treating. None of the other fish ever developed any spots. The betta now looks terrible, and I feel awful. It looks like white chicken pox on her, she has that many spots.

I don't know what to do. She's not flashing (do bettas flash?) so at this point I'm not sure I'm convinced it ever was ich. I'm not sure if I should pull her back out and try a salt treatment (do bettas withstand those well? I didn't do it in the first place because they so stressful on some of my other fish), or pull her back out and keep treating with meds?

I'm worried about the stress that these prolonged treatments might be having on the rest of my fish, and I can see that it's killing my plants which I'd like to avoid (but obviously I'd rather kill the plants than the fish).

Any thoughts?

Tank:
10 gallon, cycled 4 months, live plants, floating and sunken fake decor. Aquaclear 20 filter, heated to 76 degrees (right now it's more like 78-80 because it's warm out). Gravel substrate. Large airstone.

Normally change 25% of the water every 4-5 days, while treated been changing 25% every other day or every day if I have time.

Parameters:
pH - 7.6 normally (has been running high with the rid ick meds, closer to 8.0)
ammonia - 0
nitrite - 0
nirtrate - 15ppm

I don't add any additives to my water, I miantain water conditions with extra water changes if necessary. I do, however, use a Jungle water conditioner to remove chlorine and chloramines.
tf1265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 07:11 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

I don't have any answers for you but I'm going to bump this to get some answers for you.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 02:33 PM   #3 
tf1265

Thanks dramaqueen.

I usually get such great help from this forum, I was disappointed with the lack of response to this post.

I isolated her in a salt solution for about 5 days until the spots had been completely gone for ~48 hours (3 days and the spots were gone, 2 more for good measure). She went back into the main tank a fw days ago and has been doing well, no signs of return disease.

I still don't know what was wrong with her - it looked like ich, but the spots were larger than i've seen and significantly more all-over. I've dealt with ich several times (the first time unsuccessfully and I lost several fish, but I've learned my lessons since then). This did not look or respond like any other cases i've seen, but the salt water treatment worked and I never saw any signs of it on my other fish (although I did treat the main tank with half doses, I have cories in there).

Luckily bettas are hardy!
Old 09-05-2011, 10:43 PM   #4 
Sakura8

I'm sorry, I usually check the disease section more often. :/ I'm really glad to hear she's doing better and I'll keep my fingers crossed she stays healthy. In the future, when treating bettas with ich, follow this:

3 tsps of aquarium salt per gallon
high heat at about 86* (up the temp gradually so as not to shock your betta)
daily 100% water changes to get rid of all the ich that falls off

This is usually more effective than a commercial medication.

Also, I'm curious, how did your cories do with the half treatments of Kordon Rid Ich? I have cories and although I haven't had to treat anyone for ich in that tank yet, I've always been nervous about how to go about it.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 07:26 AM   #5 
tf1265

Hi Sakura, thanks for the info :)

My cories did fine, but I have weathered and hardy cories I think. I've heard a lot of people say they've had a lot of trouble with cories across the board, but mine have always been my favorite fish because they seem to be able to make it through ALL my mistakes. And there have been some doozies! Not that there haven't been some close calls with them, but they were the first fish I ever bought and I've only lost 1 in 6 months and it was in the first 2 weeks.

The general rule with cories, i've learned, is that any treatment you are going to give them or a tank that contains them needs to be halved. It can make it difficult to treat stubborn cases as it requires significant isolation if it's a community tank, either isolating the cories or the rest of the fish, but I've never had disease outbreak in my cories. The only times they've been treated are when I knew or suspected something was in the tank and treated precautionarily. Like I said, the ones I have are amazingly tough and the only times they've developed issues were owner-error. They've done fine with the treatments, but salt is definitely LESS effective on cories - it stresses them out WAY too much to be worth it, if you need to treat them I would highly recommend you get commercial meds. If you do salt, at least halve the dose.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:40 AM   #6 
Littlebittyfish

In my opinion the medications aren't needed most of the time and ich can be treated by simply raising the temperature up slowly over the course of a few days to about 85-86 degrees, making frequent water changes and siphoning the gravel well.. I treated my whole 29 gallon with raising the temperature.Salt doesn't kill the ich, it helps keep secondary infections from forming from the cysts falling off the fish. If you keep the water really clean by upping the water changes,I think it is possible to treat ich without it, as well.
I would be careful with using the medications while raising the temperature though, I would stick with one or the other...Medications can be rough on fish.

Last edited by Littlebittyfish; 09-06-2011 at 08:45 AM.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 08:55 AM   #7 
tf1265

I think the medications depend on the fish. Bettas are hardy enough to withstand both salt and heat. My cories are not. In my experience, the salt and heat treatment is a LOT harder on most of my fish. Cories are scaleless so they are extremely sensitive. I do not raise the temp when I'm using meds, I try to lower it a few degrees if possible (during the summer it's tricky, as my tanks stay around 80 degrees without the heaters on).

Thanks for the thoughts. Some people stand firmly on the salt and heat treatment for diseases (or just heat, with the salt if needed to prevent infection), my independent LFS owner and expert advised me to just use the meds first after I had one very bad experience with the heat and salt method and I've had no subsequent close-calls with it until now. Luckily it was my betta who, again, is tough enough to handle the salt and heat.

I like to keep both methods in my bag of tricks. In this case I don't think it was actually ich, so the ich meds simply weren't effective.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:10 AM   #8 
Sakura8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tf1265 View Post
Hi Sakura, thanks for the info :)

My cories did fine, but I have weathered and hardy cories I think. I've heard a lot of people say they've had a lot of trouble with cories across the board, but mine have always been my favorite fish because they seem to be able to make it through ALL my mistakes. And there have been some doozies! Not that there haven't been some close calls with them, but they were the first fish I ever bought and I've only lost 1 in 6 months and it was in the first 2 weeks.

The general rule with cories, i've learned, is that any treatment you are going to give them or a tank that contains them needs to be halved. It can make it difficult to treat stubborn cases as it requires significant isolation if it's a community tank, either isolating the cories or the rest of the fish, but I've never had disease outbreak in my cories. The only times they've been treated are when I knew or suspected something was in the tank and treated precautionarily. Like I said, the ones I have are amazingly tough and the only times they've developed issues were owner-error. They've done fine with the treatments, but salt is definitely LESS effective on cories - it stresses them out WAY too much to be worth it, if you need to treat them I would highly recommend you get commercial meds. If you do salt, at least halve the dose.
Awesome, thank you so much for telling me all this.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta, ich