Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-06-2011, 03:00 PM   #1 
SamanthaC02

Apple snail newb needs info

I just got a blue apple snail and know very little about how to take care of them. The label at the store said to feed them algae wafers but I've seen a lot of different info online. So I need a little apple snail care 101.

He's been in the tank with my betta for about two days and the betta doesn't seem to bother him which is great.

I've named him Gary, here is a pic:
Name:  snail.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  82.8 KB
SamanthaC02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 03:25 PM   #2 
Gizmothefreaky

Lmao!! My blue apple/mystery snail was named Gary too, until 'he' laid eggs... Now he is Gwen. X3

I feed her algea wafers, and i also put half an eggshell in there and replace it every week so she can get the extra calcium. You can also put cuttlebone in the tank for the same purpose.
Gizmothefreaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 03:34 PM   #3 
Cookie Lee Lady

Ah, the Apple Snail. I was surprised with one a few weeks ago when my husband went to get me an algae eater, but the guy at my LPS said that the snail wouldn't get very big. What a liar!!! This little gal has gone from the size of a dime to the size of a golf ball. I know there isn't a lot of info given at the LPS except to feed them algae wafers....It's all kind of a learning process with these guys. I started by breaking the algae wafers in half and throwing half of one in there every other day. I also leave a floating piece of lettuce in there for her to munch on. I would just watch your snail to see how much it eats. Also, since she is in the tank with one of my bettas, I would float her in a cup when it was feeding time for her, so I could make sure the snail was eating the algae wafers, and not the betta. This way, I could monitor just how much she is eating in an hour or two. Oh yeah, you can google the term "Snail Jello" and you will get plenty of recipes for homemade snail food for your little guy or gal. www.applesnail.net also has some great information.

Last edited by Cookie Lee Lady; 09-06-2011 at 03:36 PM.
Cookie Lee Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 03:46 PM   #4 
SamanthaC02

Thanks for the replies!
The eggshell idea sounds great, I will def have to do that.
I was thinking about breaking the wafers in half as well and I like the idea of feeding in a cup, the wafers just made such a mess of my tank!
SamanthaC02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 03:48 PM   #5 
Cookie Lee Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamanthaC02 View Post
Thanks for the replies!
The eggshell idea sounds great, I will def have to do that.
I was thinking about breaking the wafers in half as well and I like the idea of feeding in a cup, the wafers just made such a mess of my tank!
That's why I float her in a cup while she eats, what she doesn't eat makes a mess of my tank.
Cookie Lee Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 04:08 PM   #6 
dragonflie

Algae wafers as you are already feeding; and fresh veggies they appreciate too. Mine was particularly fond of spinach, more than anything else.
dragonflie is offline   Reply With Quote