Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-06-2011, 06:44 AM   #11 
Myates

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFish View Post
From my experience, I, personally, find that to be a little too infrequent.....but thats just my opinion based on my experience.
I used to do it every other day on my 1gals, and was told it was too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post

I would also cut back on your regular water changes in the 1gal unfiltered-to twice weekly 1-50% and 1-100%- or limit the 100% to weekly with 50% every other day..

You can have a too clean environment-you have both good and bad pathogens in the tank-by exposing the fish to all the different pathogens enable to fish to develop antibodies- that in turns helps build a strong immune response and limits stress due to too many water changes...its a balance of sorts.....healthy fish need be exposed to pathogens but at the same time maintaining water quality.....make sense......too clean and sterile like environment is not healthy.......
Which makes it easier on me (l don't have to clean as often lol)
To each their own in preferences, just what works for me. =)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 07:25 AM   #12 
youlovegnats

When you keep the water too clean, and have to skip out on a water change due to illness or what have you, It's like using hand sanitizer for a month straight and then not using it or washing your hands for a week- you'll get exposed to all the germs that normally wouldn't make anyone sick, but you get sick.

IMO, I think 1 100% and 1 50% is perfect for anything under 3 gals. :P
There is a thing as "too clean", and it can make you really really sick when you're exposed to the wrong kind bacteria and virus'.
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 07:29 AM   #13 
Myates

Yup, and my guys thank me for not doing it so often lol. Spyro got to the point where whenever I came near his tank with the cup, he'd swim into his cave and Xander would flair at me o.O lol
Old 09-06-2011, 07:34 AM   #14 
youlovegnats

Dawwww. <3
"NO MUM! I NO WANT A BATH!! :< "
Old 09-06-2011, 09:10 AM   #15 
Myates

LOL That's it exactly. I have to do them today so gave them some blood worms as a treat this morning hoping to put them in a better mood =P
Old 09-06-2011, 09:40 AM   #16 
DragonFish

This is quite interesting...the first time I've heard this; when I first stared out the reccomendation was 100% water changes 2-3 times a week, and that's what I've always done and advised and I've never had any problems, even if I missed or skipped a change here or there for whatever reason O.o
Not saying its wrong or anything, mind, I've just never heard about it before. I suppose it makes sense....but its interesting, how this has changed over the years....
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 04:27 PM   #17 
youlovegnats

yup! Everything seems to change one way or another. I mean, I understand changing a .25 gal 100% everyday- that makes total sense! But not really a 1 gal...
There's different methods for everyone and no one keeps fish exactly the same. Also not every method works for every person, or every fish. Changing 100% might actually be good for your fish! It's really up to the owner, IMO.
Old 09-06-2011, 04:33 PM   #18 
Tropical

That's kinda what I realized after researching bettas and other fish on the web...everybody has their own way of doing things.
Tropical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 04:56 PM   #19 
LittleBettaFish

I find that when I was trying to cut down on my tank maintenance by only doing 2 100% water changes a week (uncycled 3 gallons) that I started getting readings of around 0.25-0.5ppm of ammonia in between cleanings.

I've found bettas can cope with higher levels of ammonia than most fish - a reason why they seem to live so long in conditions that would kill everything else - so unless you're constantly testing for ammonia, it can often look like everything is okay. I had a cycle crash and when I tested my water, the ammonia measured at 6ppm. However, the only discomfort my betta showed was some minor fin clamping.

Your water can never be too clean. Ammonia and nitrite are extremely toxic, and you only have to see how fish react to their presence to know this. Fish can't build an immunity to these, and the only reason fish succumb to disease in poor water conditions is because the stress of exposure to ammonia/nitrite weakens their immune system.

I would recommend at least 3-4 large water changes per week on an uncycled 2 gallon tank unless you are testing your water daily to gauge when a water change needs doing.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 05:05 PM   #20 
DragonFish

I completely agree; everyone has their own opinions and ways of keeping, and even breeding, their fish that work well for them it seems.
I actually find it quite fractionating, how over my time on this forum advice and the general ways of keeping have changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
I find that when I was trying to cut down on my tank maintenance by only doing 2 100% water changes a week (uncycled 3 gallons) that I started getting readings of around 0.25-0.5ppm of ammonia in between cleanings.

I've found bettas can cope with higher levels of ammonia than most fish - a reason why they seem to live so long in conditions that would kill everything else - so unless you're constantly testing for ammonia, it can often look like everything is okay. I had a cycle crash and when I tested my water, the ammonia measured at 6ppm. However, the only discomfort my betta showed was some minor fin clamping.

Your water can never be too clean. Ammonia and nitrite are extremely toxic, and you only have to see how fish react to their presence to know this. Fish can't build an immunity to these, and the only reason fish succumb to disease in poor water conditions is because the stress of exposure to ammonia/nitrite weakens their immune system.

I would recommend at least 3-4 large water changes per week on an uncycled 2 gallon tank unless you are testing your water daily to gauge when a water change needs doing.
^This is, in fact, what I had always been told in my beginner days....and why I had always preformed water changes in the amount and frequency that I do in my uncycled tanks.
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote