Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-07-2011, 02:27 PM   #2421 
hmckin20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stardancer View Post
I should think so. Normally that size tank is pretty small to divide, but if it's only temporary I think it would be okay. If the tank is tall rather than wide it might create some oddly-shaped spaces, but as long as they could get to the top for air I don't see why it wouldn't work.

awesome, thankyou! :*
hmckin20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 04:18 PM   #2422 
JKfish

Nel: you were adding 1 tsp per liter, which is 4 tsps per gallon. That is waaaaaay too much. 3 is pretty much as high as you'll ever need to go. Treating mild fin rot would only require 1 tsp per gallon, if any at all. The excess salt probably is what did it.

SKA: 2-3 pellets twice aday is the appropriate ammount.

Bresn, unfortunatey, you've got that wrong. if there was a pellet large enough to feed only one twice a day, then the poor bettas wouldn't even be able to fit it down their throat.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 05:45 PM   #2423 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKfish View Post
Nel: you were adding 1 tsp per liter, which is 4 tsps per gallon. That is waaaaaay too much. 3 is pretty much as high as you'll ever need to go. Treating mild fin rot would only require 1 tsp per gallon, if any at all. The excess salt probably is what did it.

Bresn, unfortunatey, you've got that wrong. if there was a pellet large enough to feed only one twice a day, then the poor bettas wouldn't even be able to fit it down their throat.
thank you JKfish, the 50wc worked very well. the damage has stopped spreading. i though i had it right, guess i was wrong.

edit: i wrote down the epsom dosage wrong. i put 3 tsp for the 2.5g. the main areas affected were bitten areas and recent regrowth.

Last edited by nel3; 09-07-2011 at 05:58 PM.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 11:17 PM   #2424 
Cinnamee

Should I even attempt at cycling a 2.1g?
Cinnamee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 12:03 AM   #2425 
stripedsocks

Quick question: Can you cycle a tank with a filter that only has the fuzzy filter cartridge, or do you need one with a bio-filter stage? Sorry if this doesn't make sense, idk how else to explain :S
stripedsocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 11:06 AM   #2426 
hmckin20

guys, would putting two dividers in a ten gal work?
ie three sections
hmckin20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 11:42 AM   #2427 
walle

Would a turkey baster work as an acceptable gravel siphon substitute?
walle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 03:23 PM   #2428 
Bresn

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKfish View Post

I forget about that.
Bresn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 03:37 PM   #2429 
MinibotLove

Question

My girl Starscream is really aggressive around the other girls (all the other girls, no matter who is new and who isn't) but I've also noticed she's gotten really plump in the belly. I know some animals get more aggressive when they're getting ready to lay eggs, but I'm not sure if she's got eggs or if she's just been getting fed too much (My roommate and I try to tell each other "Oh I fed the fish" but sometimes things get miscommunicated). She doesn't seem to like picking her food off the bottom of the tank, though, so I didn't think she was eating that much - she lets pellets and freeze-dried bloodworms sink to the bottom and then ignores them, and I never see her eat the fallen ones. We have boys on either side of the girl tank because the girls seem to give the boys something to look at during the day when we're at work.

Okay so rambling aside, basically what I'm asking is Do females get more aggressive and territorial when they're getting ready to drop eggs or is she just being a bully and needs her own tank? And how can you tell if it's eggs or if she's just fat?
MinibotLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 06:08 PM   #2430 
bahamut285

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinnamee View Post
Should I even attempt at cycling a 2.1g?
I personally wouldn't. You CAN, but you'd have to personally monitor the levels almost daily as to not take out too much ammonia to starve your bacteria. You can have the filter there, but I wouldn't count on it cycling. Having live plants helps keep it a tad more stable though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripedsocks View Post
Quick question: Can you cycle a tank with a filter that only has the fuzzy filter cartridge, or do you need one with a bio-filter stage? Sorry if this doesn't make sense, idk how else to explain :S
Yes, provided it is big enough for a stable cycle (generally 5 gallons+) or you are in the same situation as Cinnamee above. Bacteria will grow on just about anything :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmckin20 View Post
guys, would putting two dividers in a ten gal work?
ie three sections
I have seen set ups with 3 dividers, so I don't see why not. However for this set up, some people use additional filters to take care of the extra bioload.

Quote:
Originally Posted by walle View Post
Would a turkey baster work as an acceptable gravel siphon substitute?
It is difficult to use, but I have read others recommending it. Make sure it is washed WITHOUT soap and left to air dry.
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote