I'm sure it's somewhere here, but using the search option yielded no answer for me.
My mother has the oldest white oak tree alive on record in my state, so I figure it must be a healthy tree, why not use it's leaves for making tannin. So after picking up my daughter from school we walked over to her place to get some. After stomping around it, getting bug bite after bug bite and watching a mole dig it's way out of the ground, I only came up with a couple leaves. *sigh*
So my questions:
Is white oak okay to use? Also, not many on the ground brown leaves yet, but did fine a few. One has blackish spots all over it.. would that be safe to use? Unsure if it is mold, but we haven't had rain for a while due to a dry spell. I know she doesn't use pesticides anywhere near it, so I am pretty sure the ground is safe. I would like to eventually make tannin, but it is new to me and I want to make sure I do everything correct.