Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-10-2011, 04:24 PM   #1 
londongirl

Female betta behaviour change ???

So i decided to switch my male n 2 females tanks as chimchar didnt seem 2 be enjoing having such a large tank n hes started fin nipping (himself), after switching there tanks i noticed chimchar had made a bubble nest in the tank id just taken him out of.
My question is why is 1 of my females (ghost) now spending all her time under it, shes chacing away any fish including other female betta (smokey), the nest has no eggs in it n she doesnt look like shes carrying an eggs as she released aload the otherday but there was no male with her n she basically eat most of them, what should i do leave her with the bubble nest intact or basically destroy the bubble nest, she does still swim around just spends majority of her time under it even occasionally adding a few new bubbles and i thought it was only the males that made bubble nests.

(I'm 100% shes a girl as she has the 'eggspot')

Last edited by londongirl; 09-10-2011 at 04:25 PM. Reason: incorrect spellings
londongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 04:37 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

The ovipositor or egg spot doesn't always mean female....some males will have them too....this is to further confuse us...lol.....

She most likely is staying under the nest waiting for the male to show up so she can spawn-along with the nest-she will also detect male hormones in the water and it will cause her eggs to ripen...females will always have eggs in them..unripe....once they detect the male the eggs ripen...she may even drop her eggs and place them in the nest...unfertilized so they won't hatch-but not uncommon for a female to even make a nest and place her eggs and tend to them....reproductive instincts are strong......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 04:42 PM   #3 
londongirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
The ovipositor or egg spot doesn't always mean female....some males will have them too....this is to further confuse us...lol.....
Seriously so i could actually have a pla'kat male as the fins are small like a female but she/he dont flare even with a mirror or seeing a male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
She most likely is staying under the nest waiting for the male to show up so she can spawn-along with the nest-she will also detect male hormones in the water and it will cause her eggs to ripen...females will always have eggs in them..unripe....once they detect the male the eggs ripen...she may even drop her eggs and place them in the nest...unfertilized so they won't hatch-but not uncommon for a female to even make a nest and place her eggs and tend to them....reproductive instincts are strong......
I didnt know this like i said i though it was only the males who created and tended to the bubble nests
Old 09-10-2011, 04:50 PM   #4 
Myates

I have a question.. are the two females alone in the tank together? You said one chases the other away. If so.. please read female sororities to prevent anything bad happening to your girls.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 05:07 PM   #5 
londongirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
I have a question.. are the two females alone in the tank together? You said one chases the other away. If so.. please read female sororities to prevent anything bad happening to your girls.

No they have bout 10 other tank mates,
3 small baby angelfish
3 midnight tetras
1 rosy tetra
3 swordfish
5 guppies

The 2 females were perfectly fine together before finding the bubble nest now ghost chases everyone away as if shes protecting it

Please don't judge about my choice of fish, i keep a very close eye on them as im a stay at home mum whilst my partner works, so if anything was to go wrong i have 'floating tanks' or 'breed nets' to seperate the fish without actually removing from tank, i found the fish was always killed once re-introduced.
Old 09-10-2011, 06:09 PM   #6 
Myates

Not trying to judge your choices. Just making sure all is right. Even with other tank mates, you still only have two females. They may end up just fine, just as long as you are aware that regardless of other tank mates, they can focus on just each other and you will end up having to get a new tank. That was all. If it works out, then great and congrats! And I honestly mean that.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 06:22 PM   #7 
londongirl

I'm getting more females on wednesday as the aquatics shop I buy my fish from only had the 2 I brought and get another shipment on wednesday so I'm guna go get some more then, I know I'm guna have 2 intergrate the new females n rearrange the layout of the tank.

On topic though ghost has come away from the bubble nest n 1 of the angelfish have disturbed it sshe she no longer seems interested in it.