Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-20-2007, 10:35 PM   #1 
00ej8

transferring betta from 1g to 2.5, procedure?

I've got a betta in a fully cycled 1 gallon tank right now. parameters are fine, I just want to give him a better home.

What is the proper procedure for this? I know I should use the old filter, plants, and gravel for the bacteria, but what about the water? Can I wash off the old gravel without killing the beneficial bugs?

thanks,
Patrick
00ej8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 01:32 AM   #2 
crystalclear83
Banned

why not keep the water it's only a gallon you still have to add 1 and 1\2 gallons. Also you don't need to wash off the gravel just get a gravel vacuum they are like 6 bucks. it's a siphon that you can use to suck out any undesirables and keep the beneficial "bacteria" safe and sound. 8) But technically if you have a working filter then you would be fine rinsing off the gravel, I was always told to do it lightly and the bacteria would be fine, just don't use chlorine.
crystalclear83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 01:34 AM   #3 
tangy

a 2.5 gallon tank is nice, but consider placing your betta in something of at least 5 gallons minimum. small tanks are overrated and sadly bettas dont get the space they need. Bettas are not, in general, affected by water quality cause they are anabantids, they have lungs so they can breathe air directly from the surface. you can easily cycle the 2.5 gallon with the betta inside. you can clean the decor if u want, what u dont wanna over-wash is the biological filter cause most of ur bacteria is in there :D
tangy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 01:36 AM   #4 
crystalclear83
Banned

you know what's funny 10 gallons cost less than 2.5 and 5 gallons....
crystalclear83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 10:24 AM   #5 
mHeinitz57

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangy
a 2.5 gallon tank is nice, but consider placing your betta in something of at least 5 gallons minimum. small tanks are overrated and sadly bettas dont get the space they need. Bettas are not, in general, affected by water quality cause they are anabantids, they have lungs so they can breathe air directly from the surface. you can easily cycle the 2.5 gallon with the betta inside. you can clean the decor if u want, what u dont wanna over-wash is the biological filter cause most of ur bacteria is in there :D
Bettas don't have lungs...thats a common misconception that leads people to think bettas aren't affected by water quality. Bettas have an organ called a labyrinth which some other fish have as well such as gouramis and cory cats. The bettas are commonly found in rice patties in asia which means they are found in stagnant, low-oxygen environments. To compensate for the low oxygen, they can pull in air from the surface and hold an air bubble in their labyrinth organ. Then they extract oxygen into the bloodstream from that bubble. This is similar to lungs but bettas still do breath from their gills regularly. In fact, the organ usually is something that develops over time and the fry and younger fish are more dependant on gills. So although the betta can survive in poorer water qualities...it doesn't mean they aren't affected. Just had to throw my two cents in
mHeinitz57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 06:56 PM   #6 
00ej8

well, mr. fishy seems pretty happy in his new house. i used the old gravel, plants, water, and filter media so hopefully it doesn't take too long for the levels to get back to normal.
00ej8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 11:31 PM   #7 
tangy

Quote:
Bettas don't have lungs...thats a common misconception that leads people to think bettas aren't affected by water quality. Bettas have an organ called a labyrinth which some other fish have as well such as gouramis and cory cats. The bettas are commonly found in rice patties in asia which means they are found in stagnant, low-oxygen environments. To compensate for the low oxygen, they can pull in air from the surface and hold an air bubble in their labyrinth organ. Then they extract oxygen into the bloodstream from that bubble. This is similar to lungs but bettas still do breath from their gills regularly. In fact, the organ usually is something that develops over time and the fry and younger fish are more dependant on gills. So although the betta can survive in poorer water qualities...it doesn't mean they aren't affected. Just had to throw my two cents in
Every cent counts :P I was way off, but then im not a wiz at bettas.
tangy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 08:50 AM   #8 
mHeinitz57

you weren't way off, the labyrinth is a lot like a lung but I just don't want anyone to think they can just let their bettas swim around in bad water and it's ok. Betta's aren't as sensitive as most fish but i've seen lots of people kill off their bettas just due to neglect.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:08 PM   #9 
MegK

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalclear83
you know what's funny 10 gallons cost less than 2.5 and 5 gallons....

ridiculous, but true.

my betta loves the ten gallon, its so much room she doesnt kno what to do with herself, but i transported her in a net from one tank to another (may sound cruel but all my tanks are in he same room, all the small ones on one shelf)

glad ur mr fishy is happy tho :)

personally, i dont like the male bettas, they are kinda... icky. but my girl is GORGEOUS!
MegK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 04:11 PM   #10 
mHeinitz57

yeah, having worked in fish stores, 10 gallon tanks sell like crazy and it's a standard size that fits more equipment so stores can afford to sell them at such cheap prices. I remember we had 5 gallon tanks for about $15 and 10 gallon tanks for $9. It was a good reason to convince customers to go big though and not cram a million fish into a 5 gallon, lol.