Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-10-2011, 09:41 PM   #121 
thePWNISHER

Actually that will work better for me because if they dont last as long it means more frequent trips to replace them for my 3yr old. I don't mind them not lasting at all. They are more of a situational fish for me since I didn't plan on having anything in the 10g but maybe an algae eaters but these guys are small enough and since they are very appealing to a 3yr old its worth the investment. Besides after getting my degree in genomics its great to see a product of my field of study. They aren't created out of cruelty just hapstance before they are even born. I wish California would repeal it since they do not survive or bother the natural waters there. One can only hope. Just like ferrets. I'm tempted to get one since I could be possibly moving back and this could be my only chance to buy one.
thePWNISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 09:47 PM   #122 
hedgehog

I didn't know they were banned in California--doesn't quite make sense since they aren't damaging to natural wildlife and I thought that transgenes would generally be lost after a certain number of breedings.

What I'm curious about is why they end up with bent spines. It would make sense in first generation glofish since you have to pierce the egg to get the gene in but I thought glofish in pet stores were past the first generation. I wonder if danios have the same problem since generally the GFP gene can be inserted into essentially any creature without deleterious effects. /bionerd
hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 09:53 PM   #123 
thePWNISHER

basically from my research, (online, wiki, etc..) they are mostly infertile, very rarily do you find a fertile one. the gene alteration is done by piercing the amnionitic sac within the egg I'm pretty sure which although does not directly affect the genetic make up of the fish, it has other phenotypical affects just like humans when they do amniocentesis during human pregnancy. There are many adverse side effects that can not be explained and the results of glofish deformites go along with the human counterparts in a similar fashion.
thePWNISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 10:50 PM   #124 
Loralyn94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
Haha, I hear ya. With $500 I could by a nice big tank and get a sailfin pleco. Post pics of your clown pleco when you get him.
So this has been forever ago, but i figured I'd finally make good on posting a picture of my clown pleco.

He's so tiny right now! Currently he's in a QT tank until im sure he didnt come with any unwanted tag alongs.
Loralyn94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 11:07 PM   #125 
Loralyn94

Also, to input myself into the glofish discussion, from what i've always understood they are not infertile, the first generation is inserted with the gene that makes them glow and then after that it is passed down and inherited.

This is also what it says on the official Glofish site, http://www.glofish.com/faq.asp.

"Do you have to add a fluorescence gene to every fish before it hatches?
No. Today's GloFish® fluorescent fish are bred from the offspring of fluorescent zebrafish that were originally developed several years ago. Each new GloFish® fluorescent fish inherits its unique color directly from its parents, maintains the color throughout its life, and passes the color along to its offspring."

"Does the fluorescence harm the fish?
No. The fish are as healthy as other zebrafish in every way. Scientists originally developed them several years ago by adding a natural fluorescence gene to the fish eggs before they hatched. Today's GloFish® fluorescent fish are bred from the offspring of these original fish."

So according to them, glofish are just like zebra danios except they glow. The second claim I'm skeptical on as it may be somewhat marketing bull, but as for the first I see no reason why they'd say something that isnt true about breeding them.

Personally I have three glofish atm, (had for but the yellow one died and just havent gotten another one). In my experience they do do better in higher numbers, even four is better than three. As for colors my pink/red and the orange one are the brightest with the blue being the dullest. Yellow/green is in the middle, and I've never owned purple.
Loralyn94 is offline   Reply With Quote