Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-10-2011, 03:52 PM   #1 
Petunia87

Not sure how to make my betta better

My female has been having on and off issues with stringy white poo. I have treated it as a parasite several times using the API general cure because she refuses to eat the parasite food. It will go away for a week or two and then come back. The last time it went away for three weeks but came back in the last few days. Sometimes the poo is more brownish in color but she will hold onto it for a few days at a time. She fasts once a week and only gets 2 small pellets twice a day. She is not bloated anywhere except on the bottom of her belly (by her egg sac). The last few days I have been treating her with API general cure since there has been some debate if it is a parsite or not. She has become uninterested in her food and just genrerally dull. She used to be very excited to eat or anytime I turned her light on and now she just sorta sits by her betta log (like attached to it) or in her plants. Not sure what else to do but she does not look like a happy camper. No real phyical changes (besides to whole poop issues) just doesnt seem to be acting right. Any help is really appriciated!

Housing
What size is your tank? 5 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 80
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Betta pellets (2 twice a day), blood worms (1 one time a week) and 1 fast day
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice a day except for her fast day
Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Stress Coat and AQ salt once in a while

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? N/A

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Starting to clamp fins a little bit, slight lose of color
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Isn't really moving around much. She just sort of hangs out in her plants all day or next to/in betta log. Doesn't get excited like she used to when I turn the light on or go to fed her. Hasn't wanted to eat/isn't interested in food. Has been producing stringy white poo which I have been treating for parasites. Today has stringy green poo.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? The white stringy poo has been on and off for a few months (have been treating), the other stuff just in the last few days.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Water change/ good cleaning and using API general cure
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Besides this whole ongoing thing no
How old is your fish (approximately)? I got her in June of last year
Petunia87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 04:17 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

With female Bettas its not uncommon for them to have white/creamy colored poop on occasion...usually it indicates that she has either dropped her eggs and eaten them or absorbed her eggs...this is normal and nothing to worry about and since she will have normal colored poop and white colored poop on and off...it is most likely egg related......

Be careful with over treatment you can make the Betta toxic.....right now I would make a 50% water only change for 2 days with like temp dechlorinated water and get any medication or salt out and see if this perks her up and she unclamps her fins.....

Is the tank cycled and are the plants live plants....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 04:26 PM   #3 
Petunia87

The tank is cycled and there are no live plants in the tank. I was not sure if it was poop or a parasite and a couple of people stated it was poop but then another person was sure it was a parasite so I got worried. I will go ahead and do a water change and another one tomorrow and hope that helps. I trust your advice since I have been told you are the "betta expert" :) Thank you for the advice.
Old 09-10-2011, 04:26 PM   #4 
Myates

I would definitely get the proper conditioner for water changes, something to remove the chlorine, chloramines, and heavy metals present in tap water that can be harmful to fish. Don't recall if stress coat does all of that...
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 04:28 PM   #5 
Petunia87

Whatever water conditioner I have says it removes all that plus has aloe vera in it so hopefully it does.
Old 09-10-2011, 04:29 PM   #6 
Myates

Okay, sorry, wasn't sure since I just saw the stress and AQ listed.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 04:37 PM   #7 
Petunia87

N problem. I actually ran out of that stuff so I am using some stuff that I had before I got that stuff. Do you know if water conditioner goes bad? Like I have had this stuff for 8 months. Is it still safe to use?
Old 09-10-2011, 05:14 PM   #8 
Behati

You shouldn't be using 10 year old water conditioner (exaggerated) but conditioners have expiration dates. Usually 3 years from when you found it at the store, unless the bottle you have was already very old and in that case I wouldn't get it either way. There should be an expiration date on your bottle.

I would be careful about the API medications only because my little guy almost died since the label didn't contain a warning saying it was bad for labyrinth fish.
Behati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 04:28 PM   #9 
Petunia87

So my betta is still sorta the same. She will eat like one pellet and then is not longer interested. There is nothing really physically wrong with her she just isn't herself. She is normally very active and now she just kinda sits on her plant. Could it be that she is just getting old? I got her in June of last year but am not sure how old she was when I got her since I got her from Petsmart? Any other ideas? I want to make sure she is as happy and comfortable as possible.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:26 PM   #10 
Fieldz

You can feed more than 1 Bloodworm a week man :D I feed mine like 4 or 5 a week: Wednesday (1), friday (2) and sunday (1). Feeding them TOO MUCH can get your betta really fat since drying needs salt and salt= fat, like humans.
Fieldz is offline   Reply With Quote