Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-10-2011, 07:14 PM   #1 
quilltips

Mineral-like spots near mouth?

An acquaintance gave Humperdinck to me about a month ago, and I'm still not quite used to taking care of him -- he's my first fish of any kind. A few days ago, I noticed some silvery, mineral-looking patches behind his mouth and below the eye area. It's possible it was there before and I never noticed, but it doesn't look like part of his natural coloration. It does not look fuzzy or cottony.

I did get behind on changing his water, so that could have caused some kind of problem. He's been a bit lethargic, but that's likely the temp -- I don't have a heater for him yet, so it's around 74F in there. Any idea if this is something to worry about, or what it might be? It could just be natural, but the spots are markedly more reflective than the rest of him.

Housing
What size is your tank? ~1.8 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 74-76 degrees F
Does your tank have a filter?
N/A
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
N/A
Is your tank heated?
N/A
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?
N/A

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
Hikari Betta Bio-Gold
How often do you feed your betta fish? 4-5 pellets once daily, 6 days/week

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? 1-2 times weekly
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50% and 100% alternating
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? 12 drops BettaSafe conditioner, 1/2 tsp. aquarium salt (for 2 gal. water)

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? N/A

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? He has whitish, reflective, almost scaly looking patches near his mouth/ in front of gills. It looks more mineral than fuzzy.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He hangs out at the bottom of the bowl a lot, but this may be from the low temperature. (Will be buying mini-heater soon, once I have a bigger tank ready)
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
2-3 days ago. His lighting is bad, so it may have been there earlier.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Bought Hikari Betta Revive, haven't tried it yet.
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
No idea
How old is your fish (approximately)?
Not sure. He's full grown.
quilltips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 07:17 PM   #2 
quilltips

Here's the location of the spots on one side of his face. The photo quality isn't good enough to see exactly what they look like, unfortunately.

Old 09-10-2011, 07:23 PM   #3 
Myates

They might be ammonia burns from being behind on the water changes.. other then that, I honestly can't figure out what it could be. In my opinion, it looks pretty normal. Sometimes the gills are a different color then the rest of the body. My red CT's is very very dark, but his body is a brighter red with green/blue scaling.
Just keep the water clean, you have the right amount of 50% & 100% per week with the proper chemicals. With that and the heater, you should see him perk up.

Welcome to the forums!
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 07:32 PM   #4 
quilltips

Thank you! I have no idea what to expect or be worried about, so I'm a little jumpy about him. I'll probably up his aquarium salts to be on the safe side for a little.

Is there a good FAQ thread for setting up filtered tanks?
Old 09-10-2011, 07:51 PM   #5 
LaLaLeyla

My betta has that.
Its been a few weeks, but the silveryness is slowly going away! c:
LaLaLeyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 07:52 PM   #6 
Myates

Not that I am aware of.. but any question will be answered.

As for the salt treatment... you can take him off of it. If there is no illness, using AQ salt regularly in his tank can do more harm then good. And when it is needed, he'll be immune to it's benefits. If you feel you need to, then 1 tsp per gal, for 10 days with daily 100% water change + de-chlorinator.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 09:03 PM   #7 
Behati

Could it be stress? I'd ask your friend about how he's been treating it, things he fed him with if he didn't give you any food, and so on. At 1.8 gallons I think you'd have to be at least a month before he starts getting burns. I mean if 1.8g is too much to do a full change, what I would probably do is grab a clean plastic quart container or something, take out some water and put some back in with a little water conditioner.
Behati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 10:35 PM   #8 
quilltips

It could be stress, yeah. Apparently the last owner only used 3 drops of conditioner for the 1.8 gal bowl (the label says to use 7 drops/gallon), so it's possible Humperdinck was already stressed. He seems pretty perky today, though, so just keeping an eye on the spots might do the trick. They don't seem to be growing.