Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-08-2011, 11:46 AM   #1 
Luimeril

Oh, no! Theo! Help!

my darling blind HMPK, Theo. he's always had issues, mostly with him being blind. but, he's usually active.

today, i went to feed all my bettas, and found Theo on his side at the bottom! i freaked out and moved his tank, and he swam up, into his Pink Plant, where he goes when he's scared. but, he seems to have trouble staying upright, and flails about on his side! when he swims, he stays on his side, and seems freaked out. he seems to prefer staying his in Pink Plant, telling me that he's scared. when i got a good look at him, his one side seems to have a large bump on it, right on his head where his gill is.

i can't get Epsom salt, but i do have a few meds. mostly ick and parasite, but i have that popular medicine that starts with a T(can't remember teh name... long word, comes in powder form). i also have aquarium salt.

as for his tank, it's a 2.5 gallon. i don't use gravel or rocks. i feed him once a day, a small pinch of food(it's mostly made of NLS Grow, with some other random pellets mixed in). i change his water 2 times a week, and just recently changed it the other day, so he's due for another any day now. my room stays very warm, and i do that because i don't have heaters, so the water stays in the upper 70's constantly.

i'm thinking it's a Swim Bladder issue, but how can i help him? and, what's with that bump? i can't get pics, so sorry 'bout that. D:
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 02:38 PM   #2 
Fieldz

Wait, wait, YOU FEED HIM A SMALL PINCH OF FOOD ONCE A DAY ??? START FEEDING HIM 5 PELLETS A DAY AS FAST AS YOU CAN NOW! 2 IN THE MORNING, 2 IN THE AFTERNOON AND 1 AT NIGHT! HE NEEDS FOOD! HE IS STARVING! 1 PELLET IS NOTHING!

Last edited by Fieldz; 09-08-2011 at 02:49 PM.
Fieldz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 02:41 PM   #3 
Luimeril

darling, it's a small pinch, but lots of pellets. all my babies eat well, and are so far from skinny. it's New Life Spectrum Grow pellets, mixed with other pellets, so he eats a good bit. like, how i eat one meal a day, and it's just dinner, but i eat a good bit of food. take a look at any of my bettas, and you'll see, they're plump and healthy. some might say i'm OVER feeding them with that pinch of food.
Old 09-12-2011, 02:53 PM   #4 
tf1265

If you suspect a swim bladder disease, try feeding him peeled blanched peas. It sounds funny, and it doesn't always work, but I've had great success with it. If you buy the frozen kind, they don't need to be thawed. Just use your fingernail and peel off the outer later, then mush it up and bit and feed it to your betta. I'm not sure how likely it is that he'll find and eat it if he's blind (poor thing) since they tend to sink, but perhaps you've developed some tricks for getting him to the food or getting the food to him?

Not sure about the bump on his head. That sounds suspicious.

Any chance it was an acclimation problem with the water change? You don't mention a water conditioner or water change routine (letting water warm to room temperature, aging it, conditioning it, etc), so I'm just tossing it out there.
tf1265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 03:13 PM   #5 
Pataflafla

Have you been able to pick up any epsom salt?

And I think that medication you were talking about is Tetracycline?

the epsom salt should work for his swimbladder, but I'm not so sure about the bump you described. Is there any way for you to get a picture of it? Or has the issue already been resolved?
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 04:05 PM   #6 
Myates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fieldz View Post
Wait, wait, YOU FEED HIM A SMALL PINCH OF FOOD ONCE A DAY ??? START FEEDING HIM 5 PELLETS A DAY AS FAST AS YOU CAN NOW! 2 IN THE MORNING, 2 IN THE AFTERNOON AND 1 AT NIGHT! HE NEEDS FOOD! HE IS STARVING! 1 PELLET IS NOTHING!
woah calm down there buddy =P
Actually, if a fish has been malnourished, the last thing you want to do is up his food intake fast/immediately.

The pea solution is used for goldfish and their bloating/sbd... not really meant for bettas. Too bad about the Epsom, normally even walmart carries it. That is the best thing to do for SBD, AQ salt will make it worse. As for the bump.. I have no idea =( As Pata mentioned, a picture would help. I'm sorry he's sick =(
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 09:15 PM   #7 
Luimeril

thanks for helping guys, but Theo passed away just hours after i posted this. i don't know what it was, but it took him within a day, because he was swimming fine the night before i posted this.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:17 PM   #8 
Pataflafla

I'm sorry. At least he had someone caring and comprehensive to his handicap instead of living his life out in a cup or not getting enough to eat.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 09:22 PM   #9 
BettaMiah

I am so sorry. Even if you had taken him to a vet he still probably would have died. There is nothing you can do.

R.I.P Theo.
BettaMiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 09:48 PM   #10 
Luimeril

no vet around here takes fish. i don't even have the money to take a fish to the vet. x: whatever it was, it took him quickly, and i'm grateful for that, instead of him suffering.