Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-13-2011, 08:45 AM   #101 
Laki

Kudos to ^! A kennel is a safe place for them to go to lie down, eat a treat, and stay when they are alone. After much training this should be effective and nobody should go in and haul them out or bother them in there. (granted, after trying to train my dog in a kennel he managed to lock his jaws on the door for probably a couple hours bc by the time I got home he was bloody and the wires had been pushed down below his gumline from the struggle.. I never put him back in there)

But my understanding is a kennel= good. Punishment should never include the kennel :D Just a heads up ^^
And I know what you mean about licking I think now. Coco will lick whatever's close when I give him his massage. Sometimes it's my feet, legs, hand, his paws or the bed.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 09:49 AM   #102 
Princess Penny

Agreed, a dog's crate should be their den, somewhere they feel safe and secure. You don't want them to associate it with bad things, or it will no longer serve that purpose.
Princess Penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 11:03 AM   #103 
1fish2fish

With that said, there's nothing wrong with putting them in their crates when you need them out of your hair... But instead of viewing it as a punishment they should be like "crate? Hey that's a great idea!"

Bella will run to her crate when I tell her because she knows crate time means she gets something yummy like a frozen peanut butter kong or a bully stick.
Posted via Mobile Device
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 02:25 PM   #104 
Princess Penny

Mine too. They love to "go night night" :)
Princess Penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 06:22 PM   #105 
LittleBettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
Sorry for the double post... re-read everything and wanted to finish responding to everything I wanted to respond to. Plus both of these posts are long so I don't want it to be just one MASSIVE post.
Not always the case. Many breeders to other sources for the sire... I would actually be more fearful of someone who ONLY breeds the dogs they have on campus and not branching out to other lines. I do agree about the rest, you should be able to see all aspects of where the dogs are kept and raised. And.. some breeders DO focus on more than one breed.
My mom breeder uses other males, but she keeps the male at the kennel until the puppies have homes,I would NEVER buy a puppy from a breeder where I could not meet both Dam and Sire
Yes, some breeders focus on more than one breed, but finding a breeder who focused on one breed will give you a higher chance of finding a good breeder and NOT a puppymill or BYB, I know my moms breeder breeds ONLY border collies, but she breeds Quarter Horses to... her breeding stock for border collies do flyball, agility, herding, and disc dogs, her QT horses to barrel racing.
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 06:29 PM   #106 
LittleBettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
With that said, there's nothing wrong with putting them in their crates when you need them out of your hair... But instead of viewing it as a punishment they should be like "crate? Hey that's a great idea!"

Bella will run to her crate when I tell her because she knows crate time means she gets something yummy like a frozen peanut butter kong or a bully stick.
Posted via Mobile Device
I agree!!!!

Crates should be a MUST for any dog, my pomeranian, Pandora, has health and mental issues, when she is having a bad day (she can be VERY aggressive) she usually hides in her kennel
My semi-feral dog, Punk, will hide in her kennel when shes scared (she feels safe) or if she just wants to lay down somewhere quiet
My pitbull goes to her kennel when shes bored (she likes to hide toys in there) or if Pandora has an accident or if people start yelling

Kennels are good for dogs, yes, a young puppy or a dog who has never been in one will probably throw a fit, but kennels benifit them and you (I have had foster puppies potty trained in 3 days with he help of these things)

I do NOT use the kennel as a punishment, to me its dumb, if one of my dogs does something I dont like, I yell NO! and stomp my feet... this usually ends with them running to their kennel (on their own free will) if I dont catch a dog doing something, no one gets punished, though I always know who did it (Punk will hide behind the couch, Pandora will no look you in the eye, and Chai will come up to you crawling on her belly)
Old 09-13-2011, 06:35 PM   #107 
LittleBettas

Great way to make a kennel a positive place, ONLY feed your dog in his/her kennel, this builds up the idea that kennel = good
I did this for the first year I had my dogs, as soon as they saw me making dinner they would run to their kennels, I have moved them onto eating in the kitchen since I medicate 2 of my dogs and they like to spill their food (easier to clean up)

*and another great training thing to do with your dog, in my belief a MUST*
have your dog sit and WAIT while you set his/her food bowl in front of them, if they move to get up and eat it, pick it up, with practise, you can do as I can, I can lay down Chais bowl, have her sit and wait, put down Pandora and Punks food, hve them eat, clean the mess fro mthe meds, and then have give hr permission to eat

You should be the one to give your dog permission to eat, they should not try to jump into the bowl as you try to set it down, this also helps reduce food aggression
Old 09-13-2011, 08:08 PM   #108 
HatsuneMiku

wow .. i didn't know that kennels suppose to be a good place for doggies .. it always look so small and sad when i see doggies in them .. so i thought it was a bad place to put your doggie .. my doggie has the whole backyard and garage as her area .. and her kennel is inside her caged playpen (which we keep the door open since we found out she found out that she can jump onto her kennel and then jump out over the play pen to get out anyway) in the garage .. usually when i put her in there during the day she'll look at me all sad till i say it's ok for her to come back out to play

her dog and water bowl are both inside her play pen .. i don't think it would fit well inside the kennel .. she just sleeps in there .. she's never rushed for food when i fill her bowl .. she'll just stand there looking at me when it's feeding time .. and i'll fill her bowl with kibble .. then i have to tell her to go eat "mum mum's" and she'll go eat it .. =D it's really cute .. i never trained her to do this .. she's always done that since my dad brought her home
HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 08:34 PM   #109 
LittleBettas

A dog kennel should be big enough for a dogto stand up straight and wide enough for them to turn around completely
The enclosed space comforts most dogs and they fnd it relaxing
Feeding a dog in a kennel, ou dont keep the bowl in there, once the dog is done eating I remove the bowl and depending on the dog, let them outor leave them in there (like people, dogs should wait before doing any excersize afte eating)

My dogs are on a STRICT diet, they get fed twice a day, I do not beleve in free feeding feeding twice a day helps the dog feel fuller and is beter for their system.

Punk does not rush to her food either, but I use sit wait to help train my dogs self control (just like people, dogs need to be able to control theirselves!)

My families two new border collie puppies have already learned the idea of sit and wait :)

Not my dogs, but a great demo of the sit wait for food idea

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgKASmf1ShM
Old 09-13-2011, 08:47 PM   #110 
1fish2fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettas View Post
My mom breeder uses other males, but she keeps the male at the kennel until the puppies have homes,I would NEVER buy a puppy from a breeder where I could not meet both Dam and Sire
Yes, some breeders focus on more than one breed, but finding a breeder who focused on one breed will give you a higher chance of finding a good breeder and NOT a puppymill or BYB, I know my moms breeder breeds ONLY border collies, but she breeds Quarter Horses to... her breeding stock for border collies do flyball, agility, herding, and disc dogs, her QT horses to barrel racing.
What about breedings done by invitro? The correct etiquette for breeding (and this is true for any animal) is for the female to be brought to the male for the breeding, not vice versa. It's highly unusual that the breeder of the male would let the breeder of the female keep the dog for the entire gestation period and the 8-10 weeks while the puppies were being rehomed.

If you know enough about pedigree, and have asked the right people it's fine to buy a puppy without meeting the Sire because you will know whether or not he has a good temperament. Championed dogs should have great temperaments (for the most part) because that is something that is part of the standard for each dog and would be a fault if the temperament is off.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote