Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-12-2011, 09:48 PM   #21 
Pataflafla

Well, I usually can't find any maracyn 2 here, and with the Walmart females propensity to be at least half giants and susceptible to bacterial infections it would be really useful. I've gotten 4 half giant/ giant girls and 3 have died from dropsy; my mother's cat got the other one unfortunately.

Not to mention that any fish supplies that I might need are practically out of town with how far Petsmart and Walmart are. I'd say, going the speed limit, it's a 20 minute drive on mostly highway to actually get to the pitiful excuse of a mall this town has.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 09:50 PM   #22 
Sena Hansler

Oh my!!! I have a giant female... matching my male's size at 2.5 inches. And she is still decently young. But she is doing pretty well. The other young females (the batch or two after her) however... One is growing much too fast lol! :p She has probably gotten 1/3 bigger since I got her, a week ago. She also, has ich lol. Her sister is smaller, and slower growing. Noooo idea how old they both are lol...

So... are the giants and half giants prone to diseases? :o
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 09:54 PM   #23 
BettaMiah

If you can't get Ich treatment, then use the salt. It really helps kill the Ich but not the fish.

Oh,a and you need another African Dwarf Frog. They are very social and need company.
BettaMiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 10:00 PM   #24 
Sena Hansler

Haha I know... I think I may rehome him. He ate all but one of my 13 balloon molly fry, and constantly harrasses my fish :/ Even with hiding spots and a nice 20 gallon tank... I know someone who has a bout 2-3 froggies. Once the ich is for sure gone I may ask her if she would like him. I didn't name him Mr. Muncher because I felt like it xD lmao. And I will use the salt for sure :) I am adding slowly. My salt says "one tablespoon per 5 gallons" and I just added the rest of the one tablespoon dissolved salt today, since yesterday... And a little into the other sudden appeared ich in my 10 gallon lol.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:48 AM   #25 
Sena Hansler

Hey!!! So, today only one hitchhiker remains on my female, I added some more salt and no one else is visibly infected. I've vaccuumed that gravel again this morning, to get rid of the fallen hitchhikers. Temperature increase again :) Also the other tank that mysteriously got ich, the ONE hiker on my betta is not there so I did a vaccuum of the empty bottom. Plus I may take out the ornaments (2) and boil them clean lol.

Also, although I did not use medicine do I need a new filter cartidge? does the ich stay in there?
Old 09-13-2011, 02:12 PM   #26 
Pataflafla

Ich is a parasite that is ever present in the tank, but it's when your fish get a little too stressed or their immune system falters a little bit that it can manifest itself. I'd say that so long as your fish are healthy and fed a good diet, you could use the same filter cartridge. I've been using the same one from when my guys got ich, but I did let it sit to dry for a month before reusing it on my molly growout tank. If the baby mollies never got ich from it, so I think your safe.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 02:17 PM   #27 
Sena Hansler

Ok good :) Well she brought it with her. Should have taken a picture of the poor things in their bowls... the bottom of the bowls were BLACK and GREEN with algae and to me what looked like mold (in water?). I went back there yesterday, the two females are weaker, that were left behind. Their bowls FINALLY cleaned however. One male had ich, one lost his coloring (poor thing... Color's used-to-be-pretty brother) and the third male was lethargic. I swear, if I ever sold bettas they won't ever be in such troubles... I felt so bad for them. But hey... Now I have females. And from now on I will go to the city for bettas - at least they'll be visibly healthy.

So yeah I may remove the platy from Spartan's domain. give them away. He has begun to show he strongly dislikes them. They are not mean to him, he just says "you know what, you know what? I feel like not liking you today." >< lol