Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-14-2011, 09:46 AM   #1 
Mohan85

is beef heart good food for betta fry?

so my fry are pretty big now and i was thinking of giving them something other than bbs to add to their diet i was wondering if i should give them frozen beef heart from my LFS? and if i do how do i prepare it?
Mohan85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 12:55 PM   #2 
Amphibianite

IF you did use it (because I honestly have NO idea if ti is good or not. Though I can not see why it would not be.) I would dice it up into very small bit sized chunks and try a little bit at first see if they are interested in it.
Amphibianite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 03:04 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

Although beef heart is often fed especially with Discus-its not always a good choice for Bettas-mainly due to water temp...its too low and to keep Bettas at the needed water temp (85+F) to fed beef heart.... can shorten their life span....occasional feeding in small amounts probably wouldn't cause too much trouble in a fry tank if you are keeping the water temp at/over 85F-however, I wouldn't recommend keeping Betta fry at that temp long term....

I would do some research on how fish metabolize Beef heart to get a better understanding of the risk-vs-benefits.....

I would make a shrimp based food for them-I make a pretty good homemade food for my Bettas and other species of fish I keep that has worked well for me.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 06:46 PM   #4 
Mohan85

I gave them some beef heart earlier, I tried to break into real small chunks.. they ate some of it.. the bits were still kinda big but the larger fry were able to eat it.. a bad thing apparently because when I went to go check on them a few hours later to find my BIGGEST fry dead ;( i guess he was the biggest and was able to eat the most of it and ate too much, saw him upside down at the bottom dead :(.. i guess he may have eaten a little too much being the biggest one and all.. errr so sad ;( he was a giant among the others.. ahhh im stickin' to bbs from now on!
Old 09-14-2011, 06:57 PM   #5 
Mohan85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Although beef heart is often fed especially with Discus-its not always a good choice for Bettas-mainly due to water temp...its too low and to keep Bettas at the needed water temp (85+F) to fed beef heart.... can shorten their life span....occasional feeding in small amounts probably wouldn't cause too much trouble in a fry tank if you are keeping the water temp at/over 85F-however, I wouldn't recommend keeping Betta fry at that temp long term....

I would do some research on how fish metabolize Beef heart to get a better understanding of the risk-vs-benefits.....

I would make a shrimp based food for them-I make a pretty good homemade food for my Bettas and other species of fish I keep that has worked well for me.....
When you say shorten their lifespan do you mean the the beefheart will do that or keeping the water at 85F?
Old 09-14-2011, 07:16 PM   #6 
cajunamy
Banned

I'm confused by your post OFL .. admittedly not hard to do, but I don't understand what the water temp has to do with feeding it to them?
cajunamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:29 PM   #7 
Mohan85

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunamy View Post
I'm confused by your post OFL .. admittedly not hard to do, but I don't understand what the water temp has to do with feeding it to them?
i'm not sure but i think it has something to do with their metabolism.. the higher the heat the faster their digestive system works and they will poop and grow faster from what i've read..
Old 09-15-2011, 07:19 AM   #8 
cajunamy
Banned

Ok - but what does it have to do with the beef heart exactly?j

eta: ok I see what she's saying now, but why does beef heart need to be fed at a lower temp?
cajunamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 07:44 AM   #9 
Pataflafla

She said beef heart needs to be fed at a higher temperature (85+ degrees) but that it isn't good to keep bettas or fry in that temperature range for too long since it's too warm for their comfort.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 11:20 AM   #10 
Oldfishlady

Beef heart is fairly low in fat, however, since it comes from a warm blooded animal-this type of fat is hard for fish to digest/process- especially at lower water temps....high water temps needed for the Betta to properly digest/process mammal fats also can shorten the Betta life span......

The type of fats and long term high water temps-both can adversely affect longevity.....

Long term high temp-speed metabolism and this in turn can shorten longevity in fish...water temp, metabolism, fats, digestion go hand in hand...if the temp is too low to properly digest the fat-it can adversely effect the fish-fatty liver disease, obesity, immunity, weakness, poor growth...etc.....fish(cold blooded) generally process/digest their foods in the 70-80F ranges-warm blooded animals process/digest food in the 85-100F range

Feed very, very small amounts by making a paste out of it and make a water change after feeding it since it will foul the water really fast.....

Personally, I wouldn't recommend feeding beef heart to Bettas.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote