Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-14-2011, 09:38 AM   #1 
missm83

to soon for a new betta??

My boy prince died last night my poor little boy was sick..i will never forget him he was my1st betta...but i just got a new tank and everything...so i was thinking ill go out and try to rescue a betta...No betta will ever replace prince but i rather give a home 2 a new boy or a girl and get them of the shelves at some crappy pet store where they live in a cup...
so what do you guys think?
missm83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 09:48 AM   #2 
Myates

Sorry for your loss =(
It's up for you to decide when you are wanting another to give a home to and love. No one here will judge your decision. You have the proper home and the love to give one, then when you are ready, go and find the one that is waiting for you. Just make sure to wash the tank really good with hot water before putting in a new one, is all. =) Hope you find one just right for you.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 11:01 AM   #3 
Tikibirds

I would think that Prince would like it if you saved one of his fishie friends from the evils of Petco or where ever you get fish from However, Only you can decide if you are ready for another betta.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 11:08 AM   #4 
Betta Monkey

Only when you're ready, but I think it is noble of you for wanting to save one of those poor bettas in a cup. :)
Betta Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 11:54 AM   #5 
missm83

thanks all :) i think im ready... i did see a little guy at petco on monday...if hes still there it was ment to be..i did clean the tank with super super hot water..and the plants rocks the cave..is there anything else i need to do to make sure the tank is super clean ??? it was a new tank that prince only enjoyed 1 day:( ..i still dont know what got him sick..but i def dont want a repeat of it ... since im still a newbe to bettas what DO I NEED to make sure the water is right..i got the thermometer no heater but the water always seemed to be at 79-80 degrees
Oh and how to tell if the betta is pretty young when im buying it?prince was full grown so i didnt know how old his was
Old 09-14-2011, 12:16 PM   #6 
Indyfishy

It might be a good idea to let the tank sit dry for a few days before you add the new fish, since you don't know exactly what killed Prince. I'm so sorry for your loss, it's hard enough to lose a pet, but when you don't know why they passed it's even harder =/ You can tell a betta's age by the size, if you see any itty bitty ones they're probably only 3 or 4 months old. Full grown size are about 9ish months and up. Anything in between that is probably around 6 months. It can be hard to tell sometimes. Try to pick one that's healthy, but if you fall in love with one that's a bit under the weather then make sure you get the proper medications for it.
Indyfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 12:40 PM   #7 
Luimeril

it's up to you. i recently lost both my purple veiltail, Purple, and my blind white HMPK, Theodore. after losing Purple, i'd been prepared for his death, and i felt i was ready to get another one after losing him. however, after losing Theo.... since his death was so sudden, i felt like i didn't want to get another. HOWEVER.... after finding a beautiful baby blue boy on Ebay, i find myself wanting him badly, but the amount he costs keeps me away(he's over $30 total! no way i'm paying that much for a betta!)...

then, there was my brother, who had his CT, George, and his dragon HM, Archfiend. he felt that 2 was more than enough for him, and didn't want another. well, Archie got popeye, and we were treating him for it. we were at the pet store one day, and he found a boy who called for him, a little pink, blue, and red boy, real odd colors. he NEVER had that happen, so it was really odd. he got little Wheatly home, and that's when we found out... Archie had passed. it was like Archie was telling my brother goodbye, thanks for caring for me when no one else would(he'd been there long enough to tail bite and get fin rot really nasty...), thanks for being a good daddy.... it was really touching, ya know?

so... it's up to you, if you want a new boy or girl. give yourself a few days. if you can't handle seeing his tank empty, then get a new one. :d
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 03:01 PM   #8 
missm83

My boyfriend surprised me with a new boy!! ..he was upset that i lost my boy so he went and got me a blue boy :)but no betta will ever replace prince
Old 09-14-2011, 04:45 PM   #9 
Tikibirds

I still miss my first betta and the worst part is, Im pretty sure I was the cause of his death NEVER listen to petco employees
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 05:57 PM   #10 
missm83

yea petco ppl dont know crap! i went to get a plant for him and the girl is like "what type of fish you got" i said a betta..shes like "oh yea you can keep them in a .5gallon and they will be happy" i said .5!!??..i said no betta should live in .5gallon! i got a 2.5 . im def still a newbe to bettas but i seem to know more then the "fish"ppl at petco..thank god for bettafish.com
and my poor boy prince came from there who knows how old he was when i got him...my new boy came from petsmart..he looks a lot smaller and younger...i hope he'll be with me for a long time