Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-14-2011, 01:47 PM   #1 
Tropicana

I need to purchase a filter.

I need to purchase a filter, but I'm not sure what I should purchase for Herman's tank. I'm looking for something that's not going to be loud or of bad quality. The tank is a 10 gallon. Could you suggest some filters for me? If you can, it'd be nice for you to add what the price is and where I can get it from.

Oh, I almost forgot to add that I don't want it to be too powerful for Herman to swim against because I don't want to deal with baffles. I'd hate to seem picky, but I'm not that good at building things.
Tropicana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 02:05 PM   #2 
marauder

Hagen Aquaclear 20 works great on my 10 gallon w/o a baffle. Has adjustable flow rate, large compartment for filter media. Mine is a bit louder than what others report but it's still very quiet. Most people claim you can hardly hear them running. I use a Fluval Pre-Filter sponge and substituted polyfil in place of the carbon. My betta can swim almost directly underneath the output and not get thrown around.

Picked mine up at Petsmart for around $25.00. Pre-Filter sponge was about $3 and a 20 ounce bag of polyfill was $7.
marauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 02:45 PM   #3 
Tropicana

Well, we don't have a Petsmart where I live, but is it possible that Petco has the same filter on stock?
Old 09-14-2011, 03:15 PM   #4 
marauder

Yes, it's a very popular filter carried at most pet stores.

Petco Link: http://www.petco.com/product/4051/Aq...t=OnSiteSearch

It's also on Amazon, etc...
marauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 04:56 PM   #5 
Thunderloon

Very reliable filter. Don't put all the little bio-nuggets in the bag, you won't need them all for a single fish, just enough to make one layer. Keep the little bag of carbon somewhere clean in case you need it and don't throw it out, it can be cut open at the end and re-filled.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 05:37 PM   #6 
Kytkattin

I also have multiple Hagens. I love them to pieces. I put a larger than necessary one on my 5 gallon and baffled it because the tank is divided (so one fish is directly in front of the filter). It is so well baffled that he can build bubble nests right in front of it. All I have for a baffle is one of the same sponges normally put inside in front of the output, held there by the glass. So simple it is ridiculous. If the tank wasn't divided I am not sure if it would even need to be baffled, though I do have a bigger filter than needed...

But yes, another vote for a Hagen. But don't use carbon. Just ceramics and sponges.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:42 PM   #7 
Tropicana

It's a bit more expensive than I thought it'd be, but it's nothing that I can't get. I knew that there'd be a cost when I decided to purchase an aquarium and a betta. This filter sounds like it's worth the price from all of the reviews on it so I don't think it's a waste of my money. I can't wait to go to Petco.