Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-14-2011, 04:19 PM   #4201 
Neil D

Not to be rude, but I honestly don't see how GF can have "grow out" tanks...

They emit a hormone that stops their external growth, but doesn't stop their organ's growth. So GF can't really have a "grow out tank". The more space, the more room the hormone can dissipate.
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 04:22 PM   #4202 
Sweeda88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil D View Post
Not to be rude, but I honestly don't see how GF can have "grow out" tanks...

They emit a hormone that stops their external growth, but doesn't stop their organ's growth. So GF can't really have a "grow out tank". The more space, the more room the hormone can dissipate.
I agree. A Goldfish needs a large tank to grow in. It should be housed in the appropriate sized tank from the beginning. In my opinion, common Goldfish need ponds. Only Fancies should be kept in tanks, and then you need at least a 29 gallon tank for two fish with heavy filtration.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 04:29 PM   #4203 
Reece

Goldfish have always been a tricky subject. I myself have always thought that goldfish were fine in a tank of only 10 gallons, as TV is very mis-leading. You commonly see programmes that have a Goldfish in a small bowl with nothing else and most people think that that is acceptable!
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 05:48 PM   #4204 
Draug Isilme

Yeah, I agree that it's a tricky subject (although it seems the same can be said about bettas xD). I've read in several things that when in doubt go by the inch per gallon rule. Usually common gold fish grow to, what... 10-12 inches? I've also read that since gold fish excrete heavily, if you have one gold fish, you start out with a 20g, as this follows the 1 inch per gallon and gives a few extra gallons on top of that for the extra waste. And after the one gold fish, if you add another, then you add another 10g so you end up with 30g and so on and so forth.... But then you go to, say like, Petsmarts website, and where they have goldfish listed, it says it's a fish that requires 29+ gallons, but they're also a pet store that seems to love to have 50+ goldfish together in a 10g tank when trying to sell them (at least at my place) so I assume that they mean "you can get 50 goldfish and put it all in one tank so long as you have at least a 29g tank!" but that's just my opinion... Ah well, I suppose it comes down to what you think is best coupled with your own experiences and what works best for you AND your fish, seeing as how each person ends up with different results.... but that doesn't mean I think it's okay to have a fish in a tiny bowl or anything smaller than a 10g xD
I would've gotten a couple of goldfish, but I didn't have room for a 30g at my house, so I opted for the betta. He's still great ^.^
Draug Isilme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 07:03 PM   #4205 
BettaMiah

Growout, yes. He needs to get at least 4 inches. He is already at 3. It has double filtration, and excellent water quality.

As for my Cory Catfish, I rescued her. I do not have enough room for more, and she is good companions with Beau, my Goldfish. She seems very happy. She swims a lot.

I am planning on getting a 50 gallon, then a 75 in 5 or so years.

So there.

I knew everyone would dog on me for my tanks. I knew no one would actually appreciate what I do for my fish, and that I KNOW what I am doing.
BettaMiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 07:04 PM   #4206 
BettaMiah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweeda88 View Post
I agree. A Goldfish needs a large tank to grow in. It should be housed in the appropriate sized tank from the beginning. In my opinion, common Goldfish need ponds. Only Fancies should be kept in tanks, and then you need at least a 29 gallon tank for two fish with heavy filtration.

That is ONE fancy. One. Then if you want another you are going to need another 10 gallons and double filtration.
Old 09-14-2011, 07:22 PM   #4207 
Neil D

*Dogs and pesters bettamiah* lol, no I was doing no such thing! (or trying not to) you clearly care a lot. That's what matters.
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:11 PM   #4208 
BettaMiah

Thanks. I just hate being on Websites like this. On Yahoo! I was called mean names and a fish torturer.

:( I just want to have friends and people who think I actually acre about my fish and love them and take great care of them. :(
Old 09-14-2011, 09:05 PM   #4209 
bahamut285

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaMiah View Post
Here is my Goldfish's growout tank, My Betta's tank, and my Shrimp tank.
I understand people may not be able to get large tanks for goldfish because they don't know (I've got two goldfish in an 8 gallon, lol), but I do extra water changes just so their environment can be at least healthy if I can't make it ideal.

However the "green water" and the fact that your fancy is hiding at the bottom in both pictures doesn't appear lively to me...

My 8 gallon has a super expensive, 4 stage filtration system and I *STILL* change around 50% of the water every other day to maintain their health. I've done tests to see how long they can last without me, and the outlook is VERY BAD. The nitrate levels are through the roof by the 3rd day (around 180ppm). Fortunately, I have little or no ammonia due to the many places where bacteria can live in my tank, so they are not at a HUGE risk, but the nitrate will eventually kill them slowly.

Luckily, I'm reasoning with my parents to let me get a 25-30 Gallon in their apartment, on the condition that I would visit more, lol.

I personally think it is fine (for now) for you to keep your fancy in that 10 gallon, but I would dramatically increase water changes regardless of how awesome or how many filters you use. It doesn't clean the water, it just turns ammonia into nitrate, which is less deadly, but still deadly.
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 09:16 PM   #4210 
Dragonii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draug Isilme View Post
Petsmarts website, and where they have goldfish listed, it says it's a fish that requires 29+ gallons, but they're also a pet store that seems to love to have 50+ goldfish together in a 10g tank when trying to sell them (at least at my place)
What allows Petsmart to keep so many fish in thier thanks is the fact that what you see is only a small paft of the system. I managed the fish department at a Petsmart for a couple of years. Those 10-30 gallon tanks that you see are all connected to a large system. In the back is a large filter. Our system had about 80 tanks, all connected to a sump that was about 100 gallons, we had a fluidized sand (bio) filter that was 6 feet tall and several feet in diameter. We had a fluidized carbon chamber that held about 75 lbs of pelleted carbon.
The system was powered by a bank of industrial strength Jacuzzi pumps. With the push of a single buton the system would automatically change 30% of its water. We also vacuumed the gravel twice week.

So having 20-30 goldfish in a tank for a week or two doesn'thurt the fish.

Now at home... I wouldn'teven try to keep a common or commet in a tank and I wouldn'tput a fancy in less than 29 gallons.

I personallyam working on a gf tank of my own. I plan to use a 47 gallon collum and keep 2 fish in it. I would like something wider, but space is a factor. Ghe tank will have a 500 gph canister filter along with an extra wet dry chamber.
Dragonii is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aquarium, arteries, arteriestagiscreepnmeout, bettathanyou, do the harlem shake!!!, dyingoflaughteroverhere, glory werz here!:b, lols, macgyver was here, tank