Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-14-2011, 11:37 AM   #11 
Kytkattin

Unfortunately most filters have those little replacement packs that you replace once a month. I guess they have to make money somehow! That is why I love the Hagen Aquaclear filters. It is basically a filter that lets you pick your own media! I have modified other brands of filters to mimic this by just taking out their inserts and putting a sponge and ceramics in (in bags made for holding media, about $1). Ceramics are a little pricey at first, but you never throw them out.
It really is just personal preference. The cartridges works fine as far as I know. It is just about finding what works for you! Tannins, carbon, filter, no filter, planted, fake plants, etc.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 12:45 PM   #12 
Anitax3x

Oh ok .My 20 gal is my newest and fav tank :) I'm planning on moving 3 Cory cats in once it clears up (they're in my 10 gal with my DT male) an then dividing my 10 gal into 3 sections so that I can get a HM and a CT. all in time of course :) I just love the fish and I'm so excited to have them. A few I brought back to life basically because they had BAD sbd and were constipated :(. So I love bringing home new fish bc I know they'll live long healthy lives.
Anitax3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 04:53 PM   #13 
Kytkattin

Right now I am limited to one tank. One. For the last 5 or so years I have had at least 2 tanks at any given time. It is a 5 gallon divided for 2. I consoled myself by making it a planted tank. First time ever having a planted tank! Very different experience. Less water changes, changing aquascape, etc. I really recommend you try some day if you can. Plus I can keep bringing home more plants, not true for fish!
Old 09-14-2011, 04:57 PM   #14 
Anitax3x

I'd LOVE to try that some day. For now with school I just can't find the time. I guess I'm afraid of them dying etc. I'd have to research before I did. It sounds fun tho I want to make my project dividing my 10 gal. Maybe over winter break I'll try and plant my 20 gal ! That would look great !
Old 09-14-2011, 05:38 PM   #15 
Kytkattin

Well it took me years before I worked up the courage to try. I started my tank back in June. I only have anubias, moss balls, and christmas moss so far. I wanted to try an experiment where I have been using LEDs to grow them. I have had algae problems, and I nearly lost the anubias when I moved. They are doing okay now. Some new growth on them.
Oh, and I did something completely crazy and divided my tank, but put a rock through the divider. I just had to use the rock. It has been sitting in our garage for years and I could never work it in to my decor (and yes, the rock is especially for fish tanks).

This is an older picture. I took one just now, but the tannins don't let it photograph well. It looks so beautiful in real life, but my camera sucks.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:55 PM   #16 
Anitax3x

It's GORGEOUS! I'm going to do a division of my 10 gal into 3 sections . I really do love the look of live plants :) wow your betta's look great! I'd do something similar :) I love what you've done with it! Beautiful set up :)
Old 09-15-2011, 12:19 AM   #17 
Kytkattin

Thank you. Now all I need is a good camera so I can actually take a decent picture of it!
I really considered dividing the 10 gallon I have into 3s as well, but it just wasn't as practical when I have to tear the tank down 4 times a year to move it back and forth for school. This one is bad enough. Also, because I was experimenting with the LEDs (which were about $100), I was able to use less because the tank is smaller. Though the only reason I went with LEDs is because I can't find bulbs the right length for a 5 gallon that are the right spectrum....
But totally worth it!
I look forward to seeing your tanks, planted or not. And your bettas too! You can never have to many pictures of them!

And as a side note, if you want to dip your toes into plants, I strongly recommend Marimo moss balls. They are easy to remove if you do full water changes, or they are just fine sitting there until you move them once a week or so so they stay round. They are the three round things in my picture. Very easy to care for (if you have a window in the room your tank is in, you have enough light!). They help keep the water a little cleaner, and are soft and fluffy for your fish to lay on!