Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-14-2011, 11:49 PM   #121 
ManInBlack2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
LOL.. I'm a far cry from and experienced trainer.. I actually have no clue what your talking about :)

I use positive reinforcement and use food rewards. Try to do a training session everyday, end on a good note, etc.
Posted via Mobile Device
Inducements only is all positive reinforcement and no negative consequences for misbehaving, modular training is teaching through inducements and adding compulsion (corrections) once the dog understands the command/desired behavior, compulsion only is the dog working solely to beat the correction

at the facility i apprentice at and with my own boys i do modular training. our techniques are derived from studying dog/wolf behavior. we train pet dogs and police/military dogs and narcotics/explosives dogs -> those guys are awesome to work with :) finished my first narc dog at the beginning of summer.

i'm trying to be a well rounded trainer, understanding other trainer's techniques and figuring out what i agree with/disagree with and so on, so i was just curious
ManInBlack2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 02:42 AM   #122 
HatsuneMiku

i wanna teach my dog how to do the play dead trick!! .. i have no idea how to start .. =) can you help me?
HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 07:47 AM   #123 
1fish2fish

Hmm I guess I would be modular? I do some leash corrections if she forges or lags. But for the most part when training I reward the good and ignore the bad... So perhaps I'm inbetween?
Posted via Mobile Device
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 08:49 AM   #124 
1fish2fish

To train a play dead I would start with a concreted down, then a down-stay, then lure and shape the "dead" part using a cue word and clicker.
Posted via Mobile Device
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 10:33 AM   #125 
ManInBlack2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
Hmm I guess I would be modular? I do some leash corrections if she forges or lags. But for the most part when training I reward the good and ignore the bad... So perhaps I'm inbetween?
Posted via Mobile Device
i would call that modular training leading towards inducements only :)
Old 09-15-2011, 10:38 AM   #126 
ManInBlack2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatsuneMiku View Post
i wanna teach my dog how to do the play dead trick!! .. i have no idea how to start .. =) can you help me?
you'll want a rock solid and quick down command first, so tune that up if needed afterwards pick a cue for play dead. I've heard people say "bang" and point at the dog as if they're shooting it and it plays dead, i'm in the process of teaching my mix to play dead when i yell 'avada kedavra' (harry potter nerd, lol) - but u can use whatever

next, while the dog is in a down, put a treat to his nose and circle it back behind his shoulders and over his back to get him to roll over on his side - then begin verbal praise or use a clicker if you so desire - you can say reinforce the position by using the word in your praise such as "good, bang, good bang, good dog"

keep practicing like that until your dog starts to seem to understand whats going on, eventually you'll get to the point where he's standing, you say bang and he starts to go down, immediatly encourage him and guide him the rest of the way. tricks tend to take a lot of time and patience to teach but dont give up, it's always worth it in the end
Old 09-15-2011, 06:41 PM   #127 
HatsuneMiku

what is a clicker ?

so far the only thing my girl knows how to do is sit .. and kinda knows how to wait .. if i don't walk too far .. and she knows go home .. and go eat mum mums ..

but i never rewarded with food or anything .. i just pet her and scratch her behind the ears .. when she does something right on command
HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 07:09 PM   #128 
caitic10

A clicker is a small device with a button that clickswhen you press it. Dogs can be trained to associate the click as a reward.

Food is a great reward, and I reccomend it when teaching tricks at the beggining. Later on when your dog gets good at the trick, you can use petting and toys and other less desirable rewards.

First you have to teach down. Take a treat and show it to your dog. Place it in your fist and make sure your dog knows its there. Get her to sit, the place your fist infront of her nose and lure her down into a down. When she lies down immediatly give her the treat and say,"Good girl!". You may also pet her.

Next, get her to sit and say, "Down" right after you giver her the command, lure her down. It takes over 100 times of diong this step before a dog can learn this trick. Keep doing it and never give up.
caitic10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 10:03 PM   #129 
ManInBlack2010

to add to caitic's answer, place the food directly on the floor instead of in his mouth. that way the floor is associated with food and they are more likely to stay there in the down - if he likes to jump right up after he goes down keep placing food on the floor until you give him a release command such as "break" "free" or "release" - then he's allowed to get up :)
Old 09-16-2011, 10:17 AM   #130 
Princess Penny

ManInBlack2010, I'm just curious where in Indiana you live/where do you train? I'm in Indy and I just have two shelter mutts so I've never done conformation shows but recently got into AKC Rally (Penny has two legs towards the Novice title, hoping to get that RN at a show in Lebanon this weekend!) and just started an agility class. I haven't done much with my other dog since he's a bit harder for me to work with. I hope to do Rally with him too at some point, but I doubt he'll ever have the confidence for Agility other than just for fun. Anyways, I'm rambling now haha but I'm always curious about training and pretty much anything related to dogs especially from people nearby who might have suggestions! :)
Princess Penny is offline   Reply With Quote