Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-14-2011, 12:56 PM   #1 
pinkcupid765

Guppy and a betta? Help!?

So i have a halfmoon betta in a filtered 1 gal. tank. (He's very happy in there) My friend brought her guppies to school to keep there. The water was GROSS!!! They were in a 1.5 gal. filled halfway up with 20 guppies. I couldn't stand it so i decided to save one. The guppy i picked out is small-ish with a bright orange tail. He's floating right now. My betta flared a little but it wasn't really an aggressive flare.. Does that make sense? He just watches the guppy. He's like,"Ummmm what the flapjack is that?" But here's the strange part... The guppy is being really aggressive... He's in his bag but he follows where ever my betta goes, swimming up and down. Yea im more concerned about my betta than the guppy... Help???
pinkcupid765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 01:42 PM   #2 
ollief9

Well, Bettas often mistake Guppies as other males due to their bright colours. Not only this but Guppies need to be in groups in at least 10 gallons so you will have to find a home for him/her. Keeping a Guppy in a 1 gallon with a male Betta should definitely not be done long term.
ollief9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 04:18 PM   #3 
Sena Hansler

Only a betta should be in anything less than a 5 gallon. Best bet, get a 10 gallon tank and cycle it. SOME male bettas can be okay with male/female guppies. Others cannot. You are taking a risk by trying a betta with a guppy, as the betta could see the guppy as a small male betta... Which results in finding fish parts strewn in the tank D:

My Spartan was okay with guppies, but I doubt the betta I had, Dusk, would even want to be with anything other than his reflection (even that he hated xD)

Also, some guppies are aggressive. Male guppies need groups of 6 or more to avoid aggression problems (then they just think the betta is an overgrown guppy! or at least mine did...). Females same thing. I would not suggest mixing male and female guppies because then you have met the "million fish" :p We had one guy drop off over 300 guppies because his initial 6 guppies bred worst than rabbits.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 09:23 PM   #4 
pinkcupid765

Ok so here's whats happening. I put the guppy in and i got the surprise of my life (Kinda). After 5 minutes they got along perfectly and the cutest thing is going on! Since the guppy used to live in a school of guppies he follows My betta around everywhere! ITS SO CUTE! The only signs of aggression i see is when the guppy gets in Skylar's face and he flares a little bit. Thats all.

But i am having one problem.. I've never owned a guppy before and i have no idea how to feed him and if i drop the food in my betta will eat it. What should i do. I tried taking him out and putting him in a cup to feed him to he just swam around in circles.... Any ideas?
Old 09-14-2011, 10:17 PM   #5 
Sena Hansler

Never take the fish out. this can cause stress. Have you tried dunking the food so it sinks? could give him a chance. It's harder since it is a small surface area.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:31 PM   #6 
pinkcupid765

Hmmm... I may just end up taking him back... He looks like he's annoying Skylar :/ Well i'll decide on what to do in the morning...
Old 09-15-2011, 11:27 AM   #7 
Sena Hansler

Lol yeah well I had an african dwarf frog with my one betta. They didn't care for each other... in a 10 gallon.. however in a 10 I have had 3-4 female guppies, one endler, and my betta xD the guppies thought he was an overgrown guppy, and he didn't know what to make of the itty bitties lol
Old 09-15-2011, 04:19 PM   #8 
pinkcupid765

Haha! Guess what? I got pumpkin (The guppy) To eat!!! Skylar doesn't flare at all any more. They play chase sometimes though, thats it! So yea.. He's staying for good! Skylar has a new tank mate yay!
Old 09-15-2011, 06:16 PM   #9 
youlovegnats

Please note that guppies like to be in groups of 6+. Having one guppy in (I dunno your tank size) your tank with your betta may not end out well. Though they seem fine now, things can go very wrong very quickly. Please keep a close eye out and have a back-up plan in case the betta starts picking on him (or the other way around).
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 06:40 PM   #10 
Pitluvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by youlovegnats View Post
Please note that guppies like to be in groups of 6+. Having one guppy in (I dunno your tank size) your tank with your betta may not end out well. Though they seem fine now, things can go very wrong very quickly. Please keep a close eye out and have a back-up plan in case the betta starts picking on him (or the other way around).
Guppy and betta in a 1g filtered tank. But yes, guppies do better in larger groups :)
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aggressive, betta, guppy, one gallon