Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-15-2011, 08:10 PM   #21 
betaguy

since the fish is located near the replacement water will he be ready to be put in right away?
betaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 08:11 PM   #22 
MinibotLove

When I do a water change on a smaller bowl like that (my QT tank) I dump the water, fill it part way with the hottest water from my tap (which is scalding >.< You may want to boil your own) and stir, then drain, rinse and repeat until I stop seeing flakes of poop or uneaten food coming loose from the rocks before I fill it with fresh water.
MinibotLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 08:12 PM   #23 
MinibotLove

Quote:
Originally Posted by betaguy View Post
since the fish is located near the replacement water will he be ready to be put in right away?
If it's room temp, then yes, otherwise I'd put him in a ziplock baggie with some old water and let him bob for an hour to adjust to the new temperature.
MinibotLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 08:40 PM   #24 
betaguy

Ok. so heres our plan as i believe. Tom. i will transfer him to the betta container i bought him in and will pour out the water and repeatedly rinse it with hot water until "debris" is no longer coming out. I will not feed him tom. i will add 2.5 ml of the dechlor-. then fill it up 3/4 of the way up add the plant. put him in a plastic bag acclimate him for 15 minutes then release him into the now clean enviornment. repeat this process every two days?
Old 09-15-2011, 08:43 PM   #25 
betaguy

I believe we own a fish bowl but i was told betta fish are known to jump out of them so i boguth the .5 gal. worth switch? is it allright to use marbles over rocks to make it much more efficiant cleaning process?? where is a good place for him in the house? i currently have him in the kitchen.
Old 09-16-2011, 07:09 AM   #26 
GreenTea

A warm moist place is best for them and the labyrinth organ they use to get oxygen from the air, hence why he comes to the surface. If you are concerned about jumping you can place a CD case over the top of the bowl, a piece of paper, etc. Since he is ill he probably won't be jumping anywhere. Good luck! Just keep up water changes, regular water from your tap plus dechlorinator is fine, you don't need to buy special water for him.

Marbles are ok, yes. The way I clean my smaller tanks is by putting the betta in a cup and then letting hot water run through the tank and gravel, swishing it around until there is no more uneaten food or poop left in, and then restock it.

If your plastic plant is sharp enough to snag pantyhose its sharp enough to tear his fins and should be removed. The type of gravel you have can also be sharp sometimes and damage their fins or scales so look for that, marbles are round and might be better.
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 07:26 AM   #27 
Myates

Quote:
Originally Posted by betaguy View Post
Ok. so heres our plan as i believe. Tom. i will transfer him to the betta container i bought him in and will pour out the water and repeatedly rinse it with hot water until "debris" is no longer coming out. I will not feed him tom. i will add 2.5 ml of the dechlor-. then fill it up 3/4 of the way up add the plant. put him in a plastic bag acclimate him for 15 minutes then release him into the now clean enviornment. repeat this process every two days?
You pretty much got it.. except you're giving him such little space, not even half a gallon. I would use the bowl if it is bigger.. just clean with hot water (no soap). If you can, if you have the lid.. then float him in the cup he will be in during the replacement. Much less stressful then moving him to a bag.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 03:06 PM   #28 
betaguy

just got home hes a goner...
Old 09-16-2011, 03:07 PM   #29 
betaguy

if i choose to try again with the small container, should i got a female since they are smaller?
Old 09-16-2011, 03:12 PM   #30 
missm83

he looks like a big boy!! or maybe its just the pic
missm83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sick betta