Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-15-2011, 11:45 PM   #1 
Flaretacious

Post Is bubblers okay for Bettas?

Okay I am still learning about betta's I have a 10 gallon tank that has a divider and I have 2 male bettas. Is it safe for them to have a bubbler as long as it was slow and gentle? I don't want to stress my Bettas out so that's why I am asking this question and hoping to get replies.
Flaretacious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 12:37 AM   #2 
Kytkattin

I personally don't really advise them. They don't serve a purpose for our surface breathing friends. They really just prevent them from being able to build bubble nests. However, if you really like the look, then feel free!
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 12:48 AM   #3 
ForbiddenSecrets

A bubbler is fine as long as its low enough not to bother them. It breaks up the surface in a divided tank keeping the unfiltered side from developing any kind of film. Also bettas do breathe from their gills, even if its not as much as from the surface, as well as their labyrinth organ so it can be useful as long as it's not bothering them. It really depends on your fish c:

Warm and sometimes still/slow water holds less oxygen so the species developed the labyrinth organ as a way to survive and then it became their main way of breathing.
ForbiddenSecrets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 12:49 AM   #4 
Flaretacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kytkattin View Post
I personally don't really advise them. They don't serve a purpose for our surface breathing friends. They really just prevent them from being able to build bubble nests. However, if you really like the look, then feel free!
That makes since, I would like my betta to be able to keep building his bubble nests.
Flaretacious is offline   Reply With Quote