Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-15-2011, 10:51 AM   #11 
walle

Ok, thanks! I'll go to Walgreens today to see what I can find!

Today he's still active and trying to chase the "other fish" aka his reflection away, but he's still not flaring. There's some more fuzz coming off the top of his body, it looks a bit stringy, and there's what looks like a ball of the white fuzz on his dorsal fin. Hmm. Should I be suspecting fungus? His fins were clamped while he was sleeping, but when he's swimming around they're all flowy like they normally are.

EDIT: He keeps taking short rests on the very bottom on the gravel. Is this bad? His fins are clamped while he does this and then when he swims up for air and chasing his reflection, they're normal again.

Last edited by walle; 09-15-2011 at 10:54 AM.
walle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 11:28 AM   #12 
walle

Here are pics of him today. There's thicker white stuff on his right gill area that wasn't there yesterday, and you can't see in these pics, but in addition to the white ball of fuzz on his dorsal, there's one on his right pectoral fin. :( What do I do?

Btw, he hasn't eaten yet. As I've only had him for 2 full days, I would assume this is normal?
Attached Images

Old 09-15-2011, 11:42 AM   #13 
missm83

Not to freak you out but...my boy had the same white stuff on his fins, he didnt eat and stop moving around, he looked like he had difficult time breathing and would float on his side..i tried to help him but he died 2 nights ego......i hope you can help your boy!! crossing my fingers for him!here is the pic of him with the white stuff:
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=80846 you can try this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
It sounds like a toxic substance...either something in the new tank, something fell in the tank on your hands...not enough or forgotten dechlorinator used....the white stuff sounds like excess slime coat in response to toxic substance......

Move him out of the new tank and in a small QT container-cover with plastic veggie wrap to retain heat and humidity for the labyrinth organ, temp in the 76-77F range, no filter or water movement, dim lit quiet location....

Mix up some treatment water in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water-add lots and lots of tannins...either IAL or dried Oak leaf and Epsom salt 2tsp/gal and use this water for 50% water changes every hour for 3 hours today..tomorrow start 100% water changes for 10-14 days......

Hopefully not too much damage has been done....stuff happens......

Last edited by missm83; 09-15-2011 at 11:44 AM.
missm83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 04:29 PM   #14 
walle

Oh no! I just got back from class and Walgreens, and I have some 5.2 cup tubberware things. I'll put him in there right away! It came in a four pack, so instead of water changing one, could I just transfer him to another pretreated container? Does decaf green tea have tannins too?
Old 09-15-2011, 06:10 PM   #15 
walle

Alright, he's in the container with the epsom salt. But the groundskeepers on campus use pesticides on the oak trees, so I probably shouldn't use those, right? I'm on a mission to find decaf green tea. Walgreens, Starbucks, and the student store only had caffeinated green tea. And nobody on my hall has any :( Will he be fine with just the epsom salt or should I find some decaf somehow?
Old 09-16-2011, 12:35 AM   #16 
walle

He just died. :(
Old 09-16-2011, 04:26 AM   #17 
Littlebittyfish

I'm sorry for your loss. :(
It looks like the poor guy had columnaris.

You wont want to use oak leaves from the trees if pesticides are sprayed in the area..
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 10:03 AM   #18 
walle

I just read the wikipedia page on it, and that's definitely what he had :(
Old 09-16-2011, 02:52 PM   #19 
bahamut285

I'm sorry for your loss, columnaris is a horrible disease that claims lives very quickly. I was going to comment back on this but I had a few assignments due. Even though his life was short I'm sure Gunther loved every moment of it :(
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote