Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-15-2011, 07:25 PM   #2471 
betaguy

My beta fish is acting up, first time owner and ive had him for a year. recently hes been going up to the top for air a whole lot at what i calll top speed. seems freaked out
doing what i said or lays at the bottum, just started the other day. was using normal tap water and callled petsmart and they said i needed to dechlorinate the water, i did so last night and there is no change. is there something else that I should try?
betaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 09:05 PM   #2472 
Neil D

You do need dechlorinator. You need a 3+ gallon tank with a heater. That should fix him, it may. We need more info
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 12:43 AM   #2473 
ManInBlack2010

my new guy, Rebel, has what i believe is fin rot - black edges on all of his fins

he's in QT in a 1.5 g tank. getting a little heater tomorrow since he'll probably be in that for a while. from the research i've done it looks like curing it is basically water changes every day and 1tsp Epsom salt per gallon? any other tips?
ManInBlack2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 02:28 AM   #2474 
hmckin20

definitely try API Fungus Cure. it's a standard medication for fin rot.
hmckin20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 07:54 AM   #2475 
Littlebittyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManInBlack2010 View Post
my new guy, Rebel, has what i believe is fin rot - black edges on all of his fins

he's in QT in a 1.5 g tank. getting a little heater tomorrow since he'll probably be in that for a while. from the research i've done it looks like curing it is basically water changes every day and 1tsp Epsom salt per gallon? any other tips?
Quote:
Tail rot or fin rot
•Symptoms: Betta’s fins and/or tail seem to be getting shorter and shorter or they seem to be falling apart and dissolving, Black or red along the edge of the betta’s fins/tail, Bloody tips, Behavior may not change
Treatment: Conservative: Treat with Aq.Salt at 1 tsp/gal. Increase water changes to 100% daily. Replace accurate amount of salt following water changes. Add Stress Coat to help repair tissue. If there is little to no improvement within the first 5 days, you can increase the salt dosage gradually to 2tsp/gal but do not continue any salt treatments past 10 days. Medication: If Conservative treatment is ineffective use API Tetracycline, API Fungus Cure, API Triple Sulfa, OR API Erythromycin. Also add Stress Coat to help regrowth. Continue until fins/tail stop receding and start showing some new growth.

Advanced Fin and Tail rot
•Symptoms: Fins and or tail start rotting away, usually starting from the edge, but sometimes it starts at the base of the fin (especially dorsal) and attacks the body directly. Diseases progresses rapidly as the tissues are being eaten away. Once fins have been consumed, rot will proceed onto the body. At this stage the disease is hard to reverse although the betta might continue to live for months if treated properly. If not treated, it will die promptly.
•Treatment: If the rot has advanced onto the body, skip conservative treatment. Do 100% daily water changes. Use a combination of Fungus Eliminator and Tetracycline. Continue until fins/tail stop receding and start showing some new growth. It may take up to 4 weeks to work, so don’t give up.
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=73332

Do you have a picture of him? Sometimes dark fin edges are just part of their coloring. I have one veiltail that has dark brown edges on all his fins, but his body is brown and it is just part of his coloring.
*edit*
you'll want to use aquarium salt, not epsom salt for finrot.
Epsom salt is great to have around just in case your betta becomes bloated or constipated, but I am not sure it would do much for finrot.I would start out using the aquarium salt. Medications can be tough on fish..but I have never had any issues with salt as long as your betta is healthy in general and you don't go any longer than 7-10 days with it.

Last edited by Littlebittyfish; 09-16-2011 at 07:57 AM.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 03:05 PM   #2476 
bahamut285

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmckin20 View Post
hey guys!

an unfiltered, uncycled ten gallon with three divided bettas in it- how often should i do water changes?
Any unfiltered, uncycled tank will build up ammonia more so than nitirite or nitrate. Your tank *MAY* be big enough for the bacteria to grow on your substrate and decorations, but not significant enough to count as cycled.

I would personally urge you to buy a filter, otherwise you're stuck with doing a whole lot of partial changes (50% twice a week with a 100% every other week).

I don't know how to modify that water change for the extra bettas, though X_X
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 03:35 PM   #2477 
hmckin20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahamut285 View Post
Any unfiltered, uncycled tank will build up ammonia more so than nitirite or nitrate. Your tank *MAY* be big enough for the bacteria to grow on your substrate and decorations, but not significant enough to count as cycled.

I would personally urge you to buy a filter, otherwise you're stuck with doing a whole lot of partial changes (50% twice a week with a 100% every other week).

I don't know how to modify that water change for the extra bettas, though X_X

Okay. I've been doing 25% every day out of sheer paranoia (because of the number increase) and I do 25%+ with a gravel vac on Sundays.
So I do need to do 100% on 10g? I was told not to a while back. Even with the filter, do I need to do them?
hmckin20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 07:55 PM   #2478 
nel3

does anyone have ideas on a possible tank stand? i plan to put the 5gal on it when its ready. ive checked ikea and found something thats a bit small 31inches (29lbs max weight on a model) though its also 31inches high. where in can fit 20 depthx52 lenght (inches) any other candidate in furniture is too long or not strong enough. are there any DIY tank stands or should i try to find a proper aquarium stand which will be atleast $200? any item would probably be in wood to match the surrondings and im looking for something with drawers/doors to hide the fish items.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 08:41 PM   #2479 
Neil D

Check goodwill for tank stands or tables that could be tank stands. Do they have goodwill's in Montreal?
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 08:58 PM   #2480 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil D View Post
Check goodwill for tank stands or tables that could be tank stands. Do they have goodwill's in Montreal?
thanl you Neil, there are some in Montreal. my only question regarding the proper table is if it strong enough for a loaded 5 gal weight and a bit more ie tak on top and prepared IAL water and the other light fish items. colapsed/bowing tables arent too useful in the long run.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote