Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-14-2011, 03:47 PM   #21 
Indyfishy

Hmmm maybe try Oldfishlady if you haven't already, i think she gets online more often than darkmoon. If this doesn't work, you could take her to the vet and get her a prescription for Metronidazole. It will definitely be more expensive, and I don't know how you feel about taking a fish to the vet, but it would be stronger and it might finally kill these parasites.
Indyfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 04:18 PM   #22 
Pataflafla

There's no vet in town that takes aquatic pets. There are a few bad vets, a few mediocre, and a few good vets, but none of them take aquatics unfortunately.

I'll try Oldfishlady too, but I don't think Frog can do the garlic treatment. She won't last long enough for it to take effect and she's not eating anyway.

She's breathing a little heavy right now and still refuses to eat. If this goes on for more than two days I think it may be best to put her down rather than let her starve with how thin she is already.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 04:38 PM   #23 
Indyfishy

I agree, putting her down might be the most merciful thing you can do for her if she doesn't start coming around in the next couple days. You've done a really good job taking care of her, and it's awesome that she got to live with somebody that was willing to do so many treatments to make her feel better.
Old 09-14-2011, 04:40 PM   #24 
Pataflafla

I really do hope she makes it just because she's such a sassy girl when she's healthy. She may be butt ugly, but she's still cute and definitely worth the effort to save her.
Old 09-14-2011, 04:42 PM   #25 
Indyfishy

I really hope she makes it too, it sounds like she has such a fighting spirit!!!
Old 09-14-2011, 04:50 PM   #26 
Oldfishlady

It sounds like she may be getting toxic and the parasites have built immunity to the product you are using....I would get her cleaned out/detoxed for 3-4 days...before you try a different type of internal parasite medication...since I don't use those type of products I can't recommend any pesticides to use...just too toxic for my taste......

To understand-this little girl has been with you for how long, list of symptoms....the white poop is all the time-never changing color correct-this will be hard to tell due to her diet-this is so we can rule out normal white poop related to eggs and her overall look/condition from over treating with toxic pesticides and poor nutrition......

I would get some treatment water mixed up in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water and add Epsom salt 3tsp/gal (Not aquarium salt) and tannins-natural tannin source-either IAL or dried Oak leaf and let this water steep until it is fairly dark in color and use this Tx water for 50% water changes every hour for 3 hours today and start 100% tomorrow

Get some live food...go hunting for some mosquito larva and feed these...the freeze dried krill is offering her very little nutrition-great treat but not so great as a staple.....you have to get her immune response built back up for her to have a chance and by adding more toxic pesticides to an already compromised fish could send her over the edge

If you can't get any mosquito larva, chop up some red worms, smash up a shrimp into a paste (the kind that are steamed/frozen for us to eat)add in some blanch spinach and crushed fresh garlic.....the garlic may not help much for the internal parasites at this time-but it will help build her immune response so she can start fighting for herself......

Good luck.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 04:58 PM   #27 
Pataflafla

We've had her for 4 months now, and as far as her diet, she won't eat anything else we offer except for bloodworms (which we don't have at the moment). She's refused pellets since her last bout with parasites despite trying to get her started on them again.

She's already on that dose of epsom salt and I will not redose her after tomorrow's water change to give her a break from medication. I'll also see if my sister can pick up those ingredients at the grocery store sometime soon.

I'll start her on some decaf green tea tonight since I can't get IAL or Oak leaves quickly.

Last edited by Pataflafla; 09-14-2011 at 05:11 PM.
Old 09-15-2011, 03:04 AM   #28 
Pataflafla

I think Frog is adjusting well to the decaf green tea water. I'd say right now she's at about 75% switched over to it after multiple water changes over an 8 hour period. She shouldn't have any medication in with her at this point as well as no epsom salt. I'll restart the epsom salt tomorrow when I change her over to decaf green tea water completely.

I also tried to feed her a small fruit fly that I found in some rain water outside, but she had no interest. I cannot go and get any mosquito larvae because the lake by my town has had outbreaks of what everyone here affectionately dubbed fish herpes as well as being heavily polluted by boat traffic and general trash. I don't want to bring any of that into my home and expose my fish.

Right now I have a vase of rain water outside and I'm hoping some more bugs will get stuck in it by tomorrow so I can attempt live food again. Would fishing some bugs out of my pool after some serious rinsing work? I don't want to try something without knowing if it's safe or not.

Frog's also breathing easier now so I'm hoping it's a good sign.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:39 AM   #29 
Pataflafla

Frog unfortunately passed away sometime after 2 this morning. She gave it a good run.
Old 09-16-2011, 03:13 PM   #30 
Indyfishy

Awwww no I am so sorry to hear about Frog!!!! I had really hoped that she would make it, she was such a fighter!!!