Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-16-2011, 02:32 PM   #1 
Silverfang

Sick? Or just small?

So while out yesterday I picked up a small, very tiny female. She swam up to the front of the tank and wiggled at me. I decided I wanted her.

Since she was in a tank with access to other fish, she's in QT. I don't know if she might have parasites, or it's just her.

Currently in about a 1 gal container, temperature is sitting about 72 (heater isn't working properly, it's off or cook, currently off).
Daily 100% changes, using stress coat , or prime when she gets a bit better.

Going to move her to a smaller rubbermaid container that I'm going to float in my sorrority, it's 21 oz, or 600mls. The temperature of the sorority water is 78.

She's eating, quite eager to, I will only feed her 1 pellet at a time, 3 or 4 times throughout the day. Substituting a frozen bloodworm or brine shrimp for one meal. Have seen her poop once, kinda stringy, but red/brownish, so not sure if she's ok there or not.

I have her in with some new java moss, she seems to enjoy it. Figured she could use something to hide in while she's in the smaller QT.

Pic of her, not a good shot of her, she wanted to hide, see if I can get a better one. I want her to grow up a bit before I add her to my sorority.

If anyone has any suggestions about how to keep her QT container from floating all over the tank. Clothespins won't work, there is a lip on the container.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 02:44 PM   #2 
Indyfishy

Awww poor little girl, she's sooo cute!!!! Atleast she doesn't sound sick, just seems like she has a bit of growing up to do. I guess you could tape it to the side, or use some sticky tack.
Indyfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 05:19 PM   #3 
Dozzem

I have a small boy I got not so long ago. I am feeding him the same way and his poop looks simlar. She must be really young, I know mine is! just let her grow befor you put her with the others. :D
Dozzem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 05:25 PM   #4 
CyerRyn

I got a girl thats really tiny too.. when I first got her she was less than an inch long and after 3mo she's around an inch. I find most females at stores really small.. it's rare that I see any big ones. She's pretty <3
CyerRyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 05:59 PM   #5 
Silverfang

My only problem will be to keep her heated. Floating the container in the sorrority is a bit iffy. I'm wondering if 72 will be okay for now. It's that or move her container in this room, think it's a bit warmer in here.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote