Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-17-2011, 09:38 AM   #1 
fightergirl2710

Cories for sorority

I was offered 3 cories for my sorority as an exchange for my microworms culture. There are 3 of them an albino, a bronze and a julii. Can someone give me a quick walkthrough for keeping them? Will they be ok with my girls? And will they live with each other as a group or do they need cories of their own kind to do that? I don't want to get them if I have to keep 3 of each kind XD
Any suggestions guys?
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 10:24 AM   #2 
diablo13

I beleve Bronze cories( albinos are usually bronze) like schooling together, but I'm sure they'll learn to get along. They NEED sand or very smooth gravel, or they'll scratch up their barbels and be at risk for infecting. They're extermely sensitive to salt and meds, so if you're treating the girls you'd have to remove one of them. But they need 4 anyway, so I'd get another Bronze/Albino. They'd go along fine with the girls because they're bottom dwellers.
diablo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 10:31 AM   #3 
hedgehog

The bronze and the albino are likely the same species and will form a shoal but you should pick up at least one more (preferably two) C. aeneus which can be bronze, albino, or green. The C. julii needs some friends of his own so I would again get at least two more but preferably 3 to form a small shoal of the same species. Cories of different species will really only school together out of necessity and feel more comfortable with members of their own species.

Whether or not they will get along with your girls depends solely on the bettas. Cories are not in any way, shape, or form aggressive. They tend to be faster than bettas but since females have shorter tails I don't know how their swimming speed would compare to that of a cory. Cories hang out at the bottom, usually sitting with each other. They are active over night so you they really only start getting super silly when the bettas are sleeping which should help them avoid attention. I would think that in a sorority tank there would be enough going on that the cories would be the least of the bettas concerns. I have seem some bettas specifically hunt down cories--Usually there's nothing more than a nip in the tail but it's extremely stressful for the cory which are very sensitive fish. I would have a back up plan in place in case one or more of your bettas shows aggression to the cories.

Cories are pretty easy to care for. They need to be fed sinking shrimp pellets in the morning and the evening right before and after the tank lights go out so that they can eat in peace from the bettas. Cories eat pretty slowly so don't listen to the instructions on the food that say only feed them how much they can eat in three minutes because then they would never eat anything. (Side note--I actually feed mine 1.5 at meals Omega One Algae wafers with the occasional shrimp pellet because it's what two of my cories grew up on before I knew proper husbandry. The omega one algae wafers actually have more protein and fish than a lot of shrimp pellets so my cories are still very healthy. They also refuse to eat the shrimp pellet and my betta is the one who eats it.)

Cories are highly sensitive to water parameters although C. aeneus is the hardiest of cories and you have two of those. Water changes are very important when keeping these fish.

Cories are great little fish. When kept properly they have awesome personalites and really are fun to watch. I have four which I can all tell apart based on different patterns and sizes and they all have different personalities. Its to the point where I can even make up a mini soap opera for them based on their interactions. Even though you would have to keep 4 of a species to make them feel very comfortable I can guarantee you would not regret your decision.
hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 10:42 AM   #4 
fightergirl2710

Thanks for the info you guys.. I guess I'll tell the guy I can't have them then. I really can't have more than 3-4 and I'd rather have them all be the same than have one lonely one. Don't worry Diablo, I have sand that is not an issue. I'll just wait for my lfs to get them and buy ones that are the same. :)

My bettas don't usually show aggression to any other fish, only other bettas. -__- The oto and platies live with them quite peacefully. Only on the first dat they're introduced, the girls are a bit pokey.. And since cories seem to be peaceful, aggression shouldn't be a problem. :)

I wanted to get my oto more friends but they drop like flies.. :/
Old 09-17-2011, 10:46 AM   #5 
BettaMiah

Cory catfish, I love 'em.

They do best in groups of at least 4, so I recomend getting 1 more. They are very social. They are like any other social animal. They need some kind of a friend. Mine is friends with Beau, so she doesn't need any more buddies.

They require really good water quality, so keep up with it. They are scavengers so they will consume any leftover food, but you need to be sure they are getting fed. I have found that mine likes Algae Wafers, so I recommend them. They wil basically eat anything.

Signs or a healthy cory is swimming around alot, just like a regular fish, not a bottom feeder, bright eyes, smooth scales, always scavenging, and social to other fish.
BettaMiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 11:07 AM   #6 
diablo13

Otos actually need to be in trios......they get depressed -_-
Old 09-17-2011, 11:26 AM   #7 
fightergirl2710

Thanks diablo, I didn't know that at all :P
The others died remember? And they're expensive!
Old 09-17-2011, 12:05 PM   #8 
dragonflie

It is unfortunate with otos, that they tend to be delicate.

Unless something has changed within the last year...since I checked, they are all wild caught; and so have a tendency to bring parasites with them. It is not entirely uncommon for people to keep them in quarantine and "deworm" them, though of course as always medication can be risky.

They also tend to arrive in stores rather starved..as they have not had sufficient algae to sustain them, so by the time we end up buying them it might be 50/50 whether you get healthy ones or not. :(
dragonflie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 12:12 PM   #9 
diablo13

Actually, I heard this rumor about how they catch them.....seeing as it's pretty difficult to catch a 1" fish among all the wood and leaves, I heard the catchers poison the rivers with Cyanide to stun the Otos so they won't move 0.0
Old 09-17-2011, 12:47 PM   #10 
fightergirl2710

I read that too.. O.o
I got the otos because my tank had a lot of algae to sustain them.. But then 2 just died, the remaining one is feasting on the algae.. The 3 cost me 375 rs! And one died the same night, its body looked twisted and the other got stuck in a plant..
That's why I would prefer getting cories.. (I don't really care about the algae eating, I just want some small catfish)