Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-16-2011, 11:27 PM   #2481 
betaguy
Member
 
betaguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
I understand no one here is a fan of the .5 gallon tank, but i can put him in it while i change the water in say a 2gal?
betaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 11:42 PM   #2482 
shrazybunny
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Arizona
@betaguy: of course. some of us put them in the little cups they come in. unless it takes you days to change water XD
shrazybunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 11:51 PM   #2483 
bahamut285
Member
 
bahamut285's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmckin20 View Post
Okay. I've been doing 25% every day out of sheer paranoia (because of the number increase) and I do 25%+ with a gravel vac on Sundays.
So I do need to do 100% on 10g? I was told not to a while back. Even with the filter, do I need to do them?
There is a really long and unnecessary explanation (and precaution) concerning 100% water changes. Like I said before, unless there is enough bacteria growing on other things in your tank, ammonia will eventually build up. Even through partial changes, there is still ammonia, you are just diluting it. However the dilution will eventually become ineffective.

If you have a filter, it will cycle and you'd probably only have to do 25%ish changes a week for 3 I think, again I'm not sure for the number of fish. A lot of people do 10% changes a week in a cycled 10 gallon with one.


Quote:
Originally Posted by betaguy View Post
I understand no one here is a fan of the .5 gallon tank, but i can put him in it while i change the water in say a 2gal?
There is nothing wrong with using a 0.5 Gallon tank as a temporary home for a water change :)
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 01:41 AM   #2484 
hmckin20
Member
 
hmckin20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: In a pineapple
Quote:
Originally Posted by bahamut285 View Post
There is a really long and unnecessary explanation (and precaution) concerning 100% water changes. Like I said before, unless there is enough bacteria growing on other things in your tank, ammonia will eventually build up. Even through partial changes, there is still ammonia, you are just diluting it. However the dilution will eventually become ineffective.

If you have a filter, it will cycle and you'd probably only have to do 25%ish changes a week for 3 I think, again I'm not sure for the number of fish. A lot of people do 10% changes a week in a cycled 10 gallon with one.
oh, okay. thanks for clearing that up for me. :)
hmckin20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 03:52 PM   #2485 
shrazybunny
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Arizona
If I were to have a lightly planted 5 gallon tank with one male betta in it, how often would I have to do water changes? I'm debating whether to upgrade him to a bigger tank...
shrazybunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 04:27 PM   #2486 
hufflepuffyfish
New Member
 
hufflepuffyfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
What should I feed my mystery snail? Carrots?
How often should I clean my 3 1/2 gallon betta tank if I remove the filter?
Thanks... cool thread. =p
hufflepuffyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 05:01 PM   #2487 
Dozzem
Member
 
Dozzem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: California
How do I soak a pellat in garlic juice? I also only have raw garlic. My skinny boy has stopped eating! I need him to eat!!!!
Dozzem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 05:02 PM   #2488 
Dozzem
Member
 
Dozzem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrazybunny View Post
If I were to have a lightly planted 5 gallon tank with one male betta in it, how often would I have to do water changes? I'm debating whether to upgrade him to a bigger tank...
You don't need to upgrade, mine is happy in his! But bigger is always better >.<
I would do a 50% and a 75% weekly or so
Dozzem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 05:38 PM   #2489 
ManInBlack2010
Member
 
ManInBlack2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Indiana
Is water conditioner that is not strictly for bettas ok to use? I bought Aqueon Water Conditioner for freshwater fish but then i was at a different store the same day and saw that aqueon had betta specific conditioner so i bought that... i ran out of the betta specific stuff and haven't returned the freshwater fish stuff, is that ok to use (i'm actually in the middle of a water change and ran out :P)
ManInBlack2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 07:40 PM   #2490 
JKfish
Member
 
JKfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Georgia
ManInBlack: all fresh water conditioners are fine. IMO, the betta specific ones are overrated, they do the same thing.

Dozzem: Raw garlic is fine. Just crush it up really fine and add a bit of water. Wha-la, you have garlic juice to soak your pellets in. I typically put it in the fridge between soakings, and as such I can use it for a week or two before replacing.

HufflePuffyFish: IMO, a 3 gallon would be fine with a 50% and a 100% water change.

Shrazy Bunny: your 5 gallon is fine. If there is a filter, then a 50% ever single week will be fine.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Quick Question CodeRed Betta Fish Care 10 07-30-2009 02:23 PM
Quick question. IonBaller07 Betta Fish Care 21 06-21-2009 04:00 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.